HELP: How can downgrade back to win7 starter from pirated win7 pro?

Reaction score
I have just bought a cheap Acer netbook off a friend, but he has been a little bit cheeky an installed a pirate version of win 7 professional (came with starter) and now the desktop screen shows on the bottom left a message saying "this copy of windows is not genuine" plus a pop up window keeps showing asking me to upgrade.

How can I downgrade back down to win7 starter? I am not willing to upgrade, I don't think the netbook is built for professional, plus I am only buying it for a stop gap until my desktop comes back from the menders.

Please help.

Thx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Back-up all your data and you will also need disks to reinstall any software. Then you will need to do a complete reinstall from the starter DVD or recovery disks.

If you do not have the disks then the problem is there aren't really links for starter because it is only sold on a low-end PC, but what you might try is downloading Home Premium, removing the ei.cfg file and then burn that to a DVD.

Links to W7 downloads.
Link to tweaking the file to make it "any version"

Reaction score
MOD EDIT: **Portion Deleted**
Anything touching the Microsoft OS will cost you hours if lucky or days if not.

Otherwise, shell out some $ and Micro$oft will give you a software and a product code to get rid the message and restore the wallpaper for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
jychan, only legal solutions are allowed on these forums, the rest of your post was deleted. If you continue to post illegal content you will be banned.

Ask a Question