Win7 Screensaver won't start

Reaction score
I have a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop and win7.

I always use the screesaver with "on resume, display logon screen" (pass needed).
But now the screesaver won't activate after setted time. And I have no idea what could it be. Also, when I press the preview button on 'screen saver settings' it's just showing the screensaver for 1-5 seconds even if I don't move the mouse or press any key.

I googled my problem and I saw something about wireless mouse, which I have but I disabled the driver and removed it from USB and still the screessaver doesn't work. I have a MS wireless notebook optical mouse 4000.

A ss of my installed drivers:

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :)

Can you try unplugging your mouse and keyboard and then see if the preview remains on screen? Some activity signals must be getting through and preventing the screensaver from appearing (as the preview cutout suggests).

Reaction score
thanks.

I don't have an external keyboard, only a wireless mouse. But, I disabled my laptop's keyboard ( by installing a bad driver) and when I restarted the laptop the screensaver worked. :) I controlled my PC with the wireless mouse and used 'on-screen keyboard'. And by installing a bad driver for my standard keyboard the touchpad also started not to work and in device manager i see them both with attention symbol.

So, I think my laptop's keyboard it's responsible but I have to use it :) and the standard PS/2 keyboard driver worked fine till now.

Reaction score
sorry for the bump but it's getting realy annoying. Nobody has any idea? I know that I'm not the only one that had this problem .

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
You might uninstall the "bad" driver and install the latest drivers for both your keyboard AND your touchpad and see if that will work for ya. Dell should have both on their website.

Reaction score
I installed the latest driver for my touchpad and for the keyboard there isn't one, just the standard PS/2 keyboard driver; and the screensaver still doesn't work :| .

Reaction score
problem solved after disassembling my laptop and cleaned every part of it.

Reaction score
problem solved after disassembling my laptop and cleaned every part of it.
Did you wash your laptop.. just kidding.. good to know you solved your problem.. may be issue was overheating of your graphics card

Reaction score
yep, maybe. but I think the keyboard had some problems...

Anyway, it's good to clean often your PC/laptop :) Too bad I didn't do that first and I tried every possible thing that I read on the net :))

Ask a Question