Win7 restricting DVD and CD to non-admin

Reaction score
Hello

We have a server 2003 and several Windows 7 (32) desktops in a small network. We now have to restrict Windows 7 (32) desktop DVD and CD to Administrators only.

Checking the Server 2003 side, not really a GPO for this, checking the Windows 7 side, I see the GPO to restrict "drive letters" but it is a all or nothing setting.

Does anyone know how to "hide" or "restrict" cd and dvd with only administrator rights? Anything would do; GPEDIT, etc

Thanks

B.

Reaction score
I think I answered my own question, And this is DVD and CD not "CS" (Try doing something in a hurry)

We have a requirement to control \ limit access to multiple staff on a server 2003 domain, checking server 2003 and win7 GPO\GPEDIT is seems to be all or nothing, however, will this work....

From the Windows 7 desktop:

- Windows 7 Explorer
- Go to the DVD\CD
- Right-Click Properties
- “Sharing”;
- Advanced Sharing
- “Share this”;
- Permissions
- Add Domain (User1, User2, Etc) or create a Domain group “AllowWin7CD” and add user to this,
- Remove default ‘Everyone’;

Anyone see a security or problem with this?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't have an answer but I'm curious, does it still work if you swap out and put in a different DVD ?

Ask a Question