Win7 random freezes

Reaction score
Hello
Been experiencing massive random freezes ever since the first install of win7 home premium 64 bit on this new machine when surfing (chrome/firefox/IE), idling, working in office 2007, watching movies (vlc media player). No task manager accessible because USB keyboard and mouse are the first to not respond anymore.

However, while gaming there are NO freezes at all: i can play world of tanks (full screen mode) for hours without a single freeze or BSOD so far. Games are installed on a secondary HDD (spinpoint F3).

OS is installed on the Vertex 2 SSD, optimiziations for SSDs are active:
- pagefile located on SSD, size managed by OS
- prefetch and superfetch disabled
- indexing of SSD disabled
- defragmentation disabled
- hibernation is off

will look for dumps to attach

all drivers, bios, SSD firmware are up to date; machine is running for 3 weeks now; all drives are attached to the 6gbit SATA III ports to circumvent the cougar point bug.

SSD speedtests (atto, AS) show rather weak performance but no errors.

I recon, the SSD might be the troublemaker. However, any input is more than welcome!
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Freezes

I've posted this elsewhere but I hope it may help you.

I tried everything to fix the freezing problem.

Now I don't know why but....

After installing Internet Explorer 9 the freezing problem completely disappeared and the whole system is running much faster.

Worth a try, good luck!

Reaction score
SSD isn't the troublemaker. What's your GPU?

Reaction score
i have a radeon 5850
SSD was attached to the marvel interface here on the P8P67 PRO mobo, its now where it belongs, at the intel sata III and speed is awesome!

Its pretty amazing that i can play games (fullscreen mode) for hours and never ever experience any problems. and as soon as i'm idling in win boom goes the system and usually its the USB keyboard and mouse that stop working first. usb is controlled by win drivers ...

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Download and run DriverView from Nirsoft. With the DriverView window in focus, select all (Ctrl+A) then File > Save selected Items. Save as a txt file and attach to a post.
See if we can spot any possible "rogue" drivers.

Reaction score
Driver view performed; I have attached the drivers list
thx for the help!

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Good (or bad!!) news, your drivers look good, at a quick glance. The dogs pining for a walk so I'll have a slower look later.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have a Vertex 2 also. The Intel Rapid Storage Driver v10.x.x.x is NOT compatible with the Vertex 2, use the Intel Rapid Storage Driver v9.x.x.x

I was having BSOD issues, etc., until I went back to the v9 RST drivers.

Maybe this will help ya out.

Reaction score
Nibiru, thx for the input. I have been asking the same at ocztechnologyforum and support there told me to only use RST drivers from the mobo companys homepage (in this case asus). I have updated these drivers, flashed bios to latest version and unfortunatly the freezes persist.

Whats really faszinating though, these freezes only happen in windows idle/win applications and as soon as i enter fullscreen mode and play games and stuff the system is the most stable one i ever experienced so far.

Reaction score
I have uninstalled demon tools - seems there is an issue with win 7 and sptd.sys
a bit too early for a hallelujah but i had a full evening without a freeze :)

Reaction score
the issue has been solved with installing a new MoBo (rev.3)
thx for the input!

Ask a Question