SOLVED Win7 and FrontPAGE 2003

Reaction score
I successfully installed FrontPage 2003 and tried to open a HTML page and nothing happened. I reloaded the program and got the same result. What am I doing wrong?:confused:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Strange that should happen on a new install. I can assure you Front page is fully compatible with 7. You seem to have locked the associates somewhere, with another program.
However. Try a couple of things. Easy one first!
Find an .html file on your computer and right click it. Choose "open with",
In the drop down menu which appears, If it is not on the list, then select the "choose a default program", Click the small square on the bottom left "Always..etc", then "Other programs" Browse to "Program Files" (or program Files (x86) if you are using 64Bit) and find the FTP.exe. It is probably sitting in your Office folder. See if that solves the problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What I found in searching mentions it should work if you update it to version 11.8164.8221 SP3 but because of newer devices such as smartphones, it really isn't good programming to develop webpages using such old technology.

You really should consider a newer product.

Reaction score
Strange that should happen on a new install. I can assure you Front page is fully compatible with 7. You seem to have locked the associates somewhere, with another program.
However. Try a couple of things. Easy one first!
Find an .html file on your computer and right click it. Choose "open with",
In the drop down menu which appears, If it is not on the list, then select the "choose a default program", Click the small square on the bottom left "Always..etc", then "Other programs" Browse to "Program Files" (or program Files (x86) if you are using 64Bit) and find the FTP.exe. It is probably sitting in your Office folder. See if that solves the problem.
Many thanks for getting me half-way there. I am able to pull up the file and make changes but it will not allow me to save the changes. I get an error message: "An error occurred when trying to save the file. Golly, what's next?

--Derick3

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sporry for the delay. (Weekend family entertaining!9
I do not know why this is happening, but try a couple of things.
1. Rename the file under "save as" or
2. Save the file to another location, and then copy it to your chosen location.

P.S. Just been thinking!!! Make sure it is not read only, and that you have all the permissions.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's quite possible you don't have ownership of the files where you are working. You might try installing "Take Ownership" and run it on the folder and files where you store your work.

Ask a Question