Win7 64 bits freezes with 2x2GB, but works with 2GB

Reaction score
That is my problem. The freeze occurs randomly (between 5 min and some hours after rebooting), is sudden, everything in the screen is stopped, no BSOD, no event log (except afterwards that detects the unproper shutdown).

I tried dual channel and single channel mode, to no avail.

With 2GB, I have been running for almost a week, no matter which of the two memory sticks I plug in, so apparently both of them are working properly.

The motherboard has 4 DDR2 banks, I have tried almost every combination: A1-A2 (dual channel, reccomended setting), A1-B2 (single), B1-B2 (dual on secondary banks).

My specs are at the left, but most notably it is Kingston memory and the motherboard is ASUS P5KC.

Please help!!!! Thank you in advance!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi icalvo & welcome to Windows 7 Forums

As to your RAM you said
so apparently both of them are working properly
have you tested your RAM ? Windows 7 has its own RAM test instructions are here > https://www.w7forums.com/memory-diagnostics-t1507.html also you may like to try the RAM test from Microsoft here > http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

I would like to ask your Windows 7 installation was this an upgrade or a clean install (and if it was a clean install did you use full format ?)

Reaction score
Veedaz,

Thank you for the reply!

No I've not tested the RAM, I'll do.

It's been a clean install but no full format (there's still the Windows.old of the former OS, Vista 32 bits).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Your Windows old this is a folder ? or have you gone dual boot ?, I was referring to the partition / Drive you installed Windows 7 to (did you use the full format option at setup ?)

Reaction score
Bump up the Vdimm (RAM voltage) a notch or two in the bios. I can tell you more precisely if you give me the exact model number of your RAM modules. You can use the spd tab of CPU-Z.

Reaction score
I didn't choose full format and there is no dual boot, Windows.old is just a backup folder created by the installation.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
OK thanks for making that clear, i would test your RAM as RAM can be faulty and still work to a degree.

Reaction score
TorrentG,

I will try the voltage adjustment.

The model is:

KVR800D2N5/2G

Reaction score
OK, I've put both modules, Dual Channel, and set 1.9V.

I've started the Win7 mem test (mdsched) and, about 10% of the first run, it freezed... or almost: it is not really frozen but very very slow. I can go to the Options screen and it shows the screen slowly, from top to bottom.

I left it for a while and it didn't advance.

I exited the test, and it started Windows 7 correctly (apparently the slowness disappeared).

Tried again to see if it froze at the same point, and no, this time it completed sucessfully (and no problems were detected) but Win7 froze afterwards as usual.

Reaction score
Hi, I am running Win7 using a core2 Quad 8400 2.66GHz processor, an Intel Skyberg motherboard, 2 X 2 Gig DDR3 and a Zotac 9500 graphics card. I also experience freezes at random intervals. Mostly this takes the form of the mouse not being able to click on anything on the desktop, other times the pc goes into "sleep-mode" (even though I have selected "never") and wont come out of that mode.
I installed on a new 500Gig Seagate, after my first install on a 500Gig Maxtor went the same way, and even had the mouse cursor jumping all over the screen, and selecting everything it went over..

btw, after both intalls I tried running the "rating" utility, and both times it froze about a minute after starting the test.

Reaction score
Hi, I am running Win7 using a core2 Quad 8400 2.66GHz processor, an Intel Skyberg motherboard, 2 X 2 Gig DDR3 and a Zotac 9500 graphics card. I also experience freezes at random intervals. Mostly this takes the form of the mouse not being able to click on anything on the desktop, other times the pc goes into "sleep-mode" (even though I have selected "never") and wont come out of that mode.
I installed on a new 500Gig Seagate, after my first install on a 500Gig Maxtor went the same way, and even had the mouse cursor jumping all over the screen, and selecting everything it went over..

btw, after both intalls I tried running the "rating" utility, and both times it froze about a minute after starting the test.
lol I hit thank you by accident instead of inititally hitting the quote button.

If you're running AVG, completely uninstall that.

Anyhow, first I'd update the mouse driver and then the chipset/motherboard drivers. Let us know after that and good luck.

Reaction score
lol.. Thank me if you wish..:)

Running MS security essentials.
Already updated the chipset/motherboard drivers. Never imagined one needs a mouse driver, but ok, will look for a ms mouse driver for W7.

In the meanwhile I set the power to HP, and tried to run the Rating app. Froze again:-(

Reaction score
Visit either NVIDIA's, ATI/AMD's or Intel's website, depending on your graphics solution, for the latest driver and install.

Reaction score
lol.. Thank me if you wish..:)

Running MS security essentials.
Already updated the chipset/motherboard drivers. Never imagined one needs a mouse driver, but ok, will look for a ms mouse driver for W7.

In the meanwhile I set the power to HP, and tried to run the Rating app. Froze again:-(
It appears that I have solved my particular freezing issue by updating the bios of my Intel Skyberg mobo. Now I can run the silly "rating " tool successfully, and have had no freezes since earlier today.

Ask a Question