Win7 32 to Win7 64

Reaction score
Hello all, I went to the MS release party today and got my copy of Win7 install DVD, but found out when I got home that its 32bit. I currently am running Vista 64. Can I still upgrade to Win7 64 somehow or am I screwed? Thanks, T

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So from this chart, it says I have to do a custom install. But why would I go down from 64bit to 32bit? I have 8mb of ram...

You see what I was hoping was that the copy of Win7 they gave me was 64 bit, so I can upgrade to Win7 from Vista64 and still use my 8mb of ram. On the case of the copy they gave me, it says 'DVD Included, 32 - and/or 64-bit disc(s) inside'. So I assumed the 64 bit version was in there, but it was the 32 bit.

With only the 32bit version of Win7, its useless to me, as not only do I not utilize my ram, but I'll have to do a custom install and lose all my settings/programs if I go down to 32bit. Is there anyway I can get an upgrade from Win7 32 to Win7 64? Or somehow trade this disk in for Win7 64?

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It would probably be legal to sell it and put the cash towards a 64Bit release?
But, as I understand it, both editions are on the same DVD, unless the one you have was a special edition.. You obviously have the 32BIt key. Maybe the handout with the key was deliberate, but perhaps a phonecall to your local MS office would provide you with the 64Bit key.

Reaction score
Hi,

The keys are not bit version specific.

Just get hold of the 64 bit installation media ( borrow from a friend - or any way you can ) - and use the key you have.

How come they aren't holding any of these events in Europe - that's really annoying.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have 8mb of ram...
For the record, that would be 8GB not 8MB

I wouldn't know what to add to what the other guy's have stated here. I am still using the 32Bit myself and just now thinking about going with the 64Bit version. I do hope you get it worked out though.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's strange how they haven't provided 64 bit media. I know with Vista there was a way to order x64 alternate media online if you only had the 32 bit version (the Vista page is here). They may do the same for Windows 7, although I thought that all editions would be dual media (even promo ones).

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I have to agree with what SIW2 said, the key should work on a 64bit version of the same 7 edition if you can find safe 64bit install media to use.

It's strange how they haven't provided 64 bit media. I know with Vista there was a way to order x64 alternate media online if you only had the 32 bit version (the Vista page is here). They may do the same for Windows 7, although I thought that all editions would be dual media (even promo ones).
Wow, I didn't know such a thing existed... In that case one would expect the same to be offered for Windows 7 once it launches, especially since MS as much as anyone wants to push for the 64bit transition.

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I'm really hoping SIW2 is right and I can get an upgrade to my 32 bit version once the OS is released.

Right now this DVD is kinda useless for me.

Ask a Question