SOLVED win7 32 to 64

Reaction score
Hi
I have just read the very interesting article on win7 64, I have a 64 capable pc but when the new win7 came through the door with both 64bit and 32 I decided to stick with what I know until I was more familiar with 7
I wondered, If i could up grade it now just by putting in the 64 bit disk or do I need to reformat and start again?
I do play a lot of games, single and on line and have the latest "call of duty 2"
I have 2 Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT graphic cards configered in SLI format
a 4000 AMD 64 procesor and 2 gb ddr ram.

I also find programs slow to load in 7 compared with XP (never went to Vista). It some times just sits there and even the little wirly thing can't be seen.

is it worth it for me?

thank you

Reaction score
You will have to reformat and start again, but I do not advise switching to 64-bit until you have at least 4GB of memory. :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I wondered, If i could up grade it now just by putting in the 64 bit disk or do I need to reformat and start again?

It would be best to do a clean install, reformat, etc.

I do play a lot of games, single and on line and have the latest "call of duty 2"
I have 2 Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT graphic cards configered in SLI format
a 4000 AMD 64 procesor and 2 gb ddr ram.

Just be sure to download the 64 bit nVidia drivers for your graphics cards and any other x64 drivers, such as chipset, audio, etc. Now Windows 7 will install many drivers automatically for you, even update them through Windows Update. But I've found that if I download the latest driver versions (usually more current than through Windows Update), my systems runs smoother.

I also find programs slow to load in 7 compared with XP (never went to Vista). It some times just sits there and even the little wirly thing can't be seen.

IF you did an upgrade rather than a clean install, there may be issues. Some people who have done the upgrade version have been experiencing problems versus doing a clean install.

is it worth it for me?

In my opinion yes! You'll find that x64 is an excellent OS. Even though you have 2GB of RAM now, when you add more later you won't have to worry about it. Plus the x64 OS will be able to take full advantage of the 4GB of RAM.

Good Luck and whatever you decide with Windows 7 OS you'll kike it.

Reaction score
Thank you

Brilliant replies thank you
I'm due an upgrade soon so I'll up the ram and load it then
Thanks
alank

Ask a Question