Win 7 will NOT BOOT - Dell Inspiron

Reaction score
Turned laptop on this AM received "Windows failed to start File\Boot\BCD Status 0xC000014C An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data".. First time boot failed, no OS reinstall ever done, no recent software / driver configs loaded. I had previously created a boot flash drive with ACRONIS. Didn't seen to work. Used the Win 7 OS disk I received with unit. Changed Boot location from HDD to DVD\CD drive. Inserted disk forced a power off, then power on Dell OS disk started copying files. When the copy files ended "Starting Windows" appeared on the screen, followed by the windows logo. Nothing else happens and I don't know why. Attempted this process several times, with same results.It would be great to recover completely, or just be able to get in and copy pics, files, e-mail. I do have an older Dell desktop with internet which I can use to assist in my troubleshooting and hopefully recovery. Can anyone help me with this problem?? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi pathfinder,

When you boot Windows 7 DVD select the System Recovery Options and then Command Prompt.
On the command line type:

c:<enter>
cd \boot <enter>
(you can check with 'dir /ash bcd*.*' if there are bcd files in the \boot directory )
now delete the existing bcd files. Recovery will recreate them later.
del /ash bcd <enter>
del /ash bcd.log* <enter>

Run StartUp Repair. (up to three times with rebooting from DVD until no error reported.)

Now reboot from disk. If Windows 7 cannot start successfully:

Reboot with DVD. On the command line of recovery console type:

c:\
cd \windows\system32
sfc /scannow

This will repair system files. Wait for the result.
If you cannot boot Windows 7 after this
in-place reinstall could be considered and at last
complete re-installation.
You can copy/save your user files with the help of a Linux Live CD (save to USB) or with USB Live OS to CD/DVD. (Kubuntu Live CD should be OK)

Reaction score
Hi,

If you have a boot failure issues in your Windows 7 operating system, you need to ensure the working of the boot device. If your boot device is hard disk, you need to check that your hard disk is working properly. If not, you need to replace or repair the hard disk. You need to repair the operating system with the installation CD/DVD. If this does not fix your problem, you need to reinstall the operating system.

Ask a Question