Win 7 pre order deals

Reaction score
Are all these deals for upgrade software rather then the full retail versions?

I have shelled out quite a bit on WinXP over the past few years and more recently due to both desktop and laptop falling over at the same time.

I want to be able to install any new operating system I buy on new hardware when that becomes necessary.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you are in Europe then you'll be getting the full version of Windows 7, but other countries will only be getting upgrade editions. :)

I've not seen the license agreement for the new Windows 7 "E" editions, but I assume you will be able to install it on a new PC as you upgrade (assuming it no longer exists on the old system).

Reaction score
Upgrade, Full, OEM , Retail

Hi

Thanks. I have to be very sure. I am not wasting any more dosh on OEM versions.

It seems to me that just because you get a full version rather than an upgrade, that is something different to the license being OEM or Retail. Which I guess is what you were saying....?

Full or upgrade version is not really the issue (although full is obviously better). For me it is about the license to install on new hardware as I upgrade that without buying a new copy of windows.

Does 'full' also mean that the install will not be tied to a previous copy of windows being installed first (or having the key for that version to hand)?

Reaction score
conversation with MS Store UK

Great.

MS rep themselves told me this pre-order version was 'full retail' then in next breath told me it was 'upgrade' and did not seem to appreciate the contradiction.

Then I asked if I needed to have a valid qualifying operating system already installed to install it. Was told yes. Vista or XP. Merely a valid key will not do. I am assuming that because I called the UK store that they were giving me answers relevant to the E version but who knows.

They did give me the mantra about the 'clean install'.

I was also told that if I wish to reinstall that I would have to reinstall the old o/s first each time.

Did not even get into the fact that I have an OEM version of XP and if that would count as qualifying to install this pre-order Win7 E.

Also did not get into question of whether I could install on new hardware if I should need to in the future.

Figured these questions would be way too hard if they cannot answer the first. And would I now believe anything they say anyway?

Rep referred me to the website address (which I was already looking at) and said that all the details were there. Clear answers to my questions are not there on that site as far as I can see.

BEWARE Other people have had different answers from MS Store UK. MS cannot unambiguously tell you what they are selling you!

If anyone works it out definitively would be very interested but if MS cannot tell us, who can?

Last edited:
Reaction score
If anyone works it out definitively would be very interested but if MC cannot tel us, who can?
I haven't gotten a straight answer from MS about anything to do with upgrading, so I have given up on buying a retail pack & will use 7264 until it runs out in March, then buy a new computer with 7 installed.

I intend to get actual Windows 7 retail disks when I buy that comp, or it's a no sale.

OEM disks/"recovery partion" FTL!!

Reaction score
me too.....they can stick their 'offer' where the sun don't shine, much as I like Win 7.

Reaction score
Hi kevyb,

Upgrade licenses will not be available in the UK (at least initially).

MS do not want to lose the sales from the Upgrade market.

Therefore, they are making the Full Retail version available at the Upgrade price.

There is also a reduction on that price during the pre-order period.

To qualify for the Upgrade Price - you should officially have a qualifying version of Windows installed.

The dvd/download you get will be the Full Retail version - even tho. you have only paid the pre order upgrade price.

If you ask MS what you need to do to qualify for the Upgrade price - they will give you the official line.

They can't state otherwise publicly- because that is what you always needed for the upgrade price - and what other countries are being asked to provide for the upgrade price.

If you wait till after the offer to purchase Win7 - you will just pay more for the same install media and license.

Retail license allows you to move the o/s to a different machine - if you remove it from the first one.

OEM (System builder ) license does not allow you to move the o/s to a different machine.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Reaction score
UPGRADE LICENSE: Only available in the United States. Requires a previous Windows license of any kind to comply with the EULA.

FULL LICENSE: Available in America and in the EU (as the E edition). Does not require a prior license and can be transferred to any PC as long as the software is completely uninstalled prior to a new installation.

OEM LICENSE: This license is tied to the first PC it is installed to. This license may not be transferred to another PC; it can only be sold with that PC to another user if it includes all the original materials.

PRICING: The EU versions of Windows 7 will be sold at the upgrade price, but will be a full retail copy. These editions, however, will be higher than the US price after currency conversion (Pro = 99 quid vs. $100).

Reaction score
Is Windows 7 going to be one copy per computer or one copy per laptop and desktop ?? with vista you could install on a lap top and desktop with same key wonder if w7 will be the same ?

Reaction score
Is Windows 7 going to be one copy per computer or one copy per laptop and desktop ?? with vista you could install on a lap top and desktop with same key wonder if w7 will be the same ?
Not true at all. Here is the relevant portion of the Vista EULA that disagrees:

You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.
Any Windows 7 license you can buy from any retail establishment is for one computer, and one computer only. The same is true for Vista. The same is true for XP. Even the family pack is just a discounted trio of Home Premium licenses, each one good for one device.

Reaction score
UPGRADE LICENSE: Only available in the United States. Requires a previous Windows license of any kind to comply with the EULA.

FULL LICENSE: Available in America and in the EU (as the E edition). Does not require a prior license and can be transferred to any PC as long as the software is completely uninstalled prior to a new installation.

OEM LICENSE: This license is tied to the first PC it is installed to. This license may not be transferred to another PC; it can only be sold with that PC to another user if it includes all the original materials.

PRICING: The EU versions of Windows 7 will be sold at the upgrade price, but will be a full retail copy. These editions, however, will be higher than the US price after currency conversion (Pro = 99 quid vs. $100).

How do you interpret this on the MS website? Does this now mean that the version we get in Europe will be either full (at the full price) or upgrade (at the upgrade price) even if we have already pre-ordered at the reduced price?

NOTICE: Regarding Windows 7 “E” Versions

We are intent on providing people with the best possible experience using their PCs with Windows. Building on that important principle, we will ship the same version of Windows 7 in Europe as in rest of the world on the worldwide launch date of 22 October, 2009. This version of Windows 7 includes Windows Internet Explorer 8 to help people get the most from their PCs and the Internet. We will not ship E editions of Windows 7, which would not have included Internet Explorer. Customers who pre-order Windows 7 will receive versions of the product that include Internet Explorer. Customers participating in the Windows Upgrade Option available with select new PCs running Windows Vista will also receive versions of Windows 7 that include Internet Explorer. Customers in Europe will also be able to choose between upgrade and full versions of Windows 7.

Might have to cancel my pre-orders.......

UPDATE
The MS website still shows E versions when placing a pre-order currently.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Amazon Notice

Just found this on the Amazon website so maybe I do not have to cancel my orders.....

Important--changes to EU release of Microsoft Windows 7

Please note that Microsoft have recently made a number of changes to the European release of Microsoft Windows 7. Please be aware that while this is subject to change, the latest information that Amazon has is:
This version of Windows 7 ships as a full edition, suitable for both new Windows users and Windows Vista users looking to upgrade. Although a ‘clean install’ is not essential for existing Windows Vista users, this is recommended by Microsoft UK.
All editions of Windows 7 will now include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser as standard.
Amazon.co.uk will continue to update this page as and when further information becomes available.

Reaction score
You will get the Full version if you did the pre order deal. That is what you contracted for. MS are now including IE - that is the only change.

Reaction score
So, if you have Vista installed, will the upgrade be cheaper than having to get the full version as before, or what? I dont really understand what they are doing here.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So, if you have Vista installed, will the upgrade be cheaper than having to get the full version as before, or what? I dont really understand what they are doing here.
Did you pre-order the "E" version, or is this just a general question about the current offerings? The current upgrade version is cheaper than the full version - as it assumes you are already an existing license holder and are given a discount.

Reaction score
Just a general question. At the moment I have Vista 64 Ultimate, so was wondering what the upgrade offer would be...like how much cheaper, because I have not seen any prices for upgrades in the UK. Cheers.

Ask a Question