Win 7 Equivalent to XP Win Explorer Window ?

Reaction score
I am running XP Pro and have not used Windows 7 yet.

Is it possible to open two Windows Explorer windows and tile them vertically as it is in XP Pro?

I use this method to drag and drop files between folders and wondered if I will lose this option?

If windows explorer no longer exists, is there an equivalent method in Windows 7 and what is it please?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi WirelessThinkPad - Welcome to w7forums

That has not changed in Windows 7. You will still have Explorer and can open as many windows as you like.

If you choose to try something different, there are File Managers with side by side views that will do the samething within one application.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
You can do this in a few seconds in Win7 with keyboard shortcuts. I don't know if this was possible in XP, never bothered much with shortcuts in it.

Open two instances of Windows Explorer. Press Win+ArrowLeft to put the first Explorer on the left (it'll automatically take up half the screen), switch to the other Explorer and press Win+ArrowRight to put it on the right side.

You can do it the old-fashioned way, too, of course, but the shortcuts are neat once you learn them.

Lifehacker teaches some Win7 shortcuts.

Last edited:

Ask a Question