WIN 7 & Creative XTREME Audio Card - No rear Sound

Reaction score
I just purchased and install a Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Card and downloaded from Creative the Win 7 drivers. Everything started to go fairly well. I configured for a Quadraphonic Speakers configuration. Tested sound, using Manage Audio Device, at all four speakers and I could hear the sound. However, when I used the Window Medial Player or any other player, no rear speakers sound can be heard.

Please help!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think that may actually be working properly. If you can test individual speakers and they work properly in surround applications (such as games) then it is likely the audio you are listening to was just recorded in stereo.

Creative used to include a tool called CMSS-3D which would let you play music in surround. It might be worth checking to see if your driver package game with this.

Media players such as WinAMP come with settings such as "Enable stereo sound expander", and there may be a similar option in WMP (but I've not seen it before).

Reaction score
You need to enable the "speaker fill" enhancement:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/pages/450038.aspx

It's about 1/4 the way down the page.

Thrax: Thanks for the information, but it seems applicable to Windows Vista not Win 7, since I have not been able to locate where to make the "speaker fill" adjustment in Win 7. Also, for some reason, the screen shot figure 5, is not shown in the link of the blog information you provided.

Reaction score
Windows 7 definitely has this enhancement (it uses the same panel files as Vista), but your soundcard's drivers must enable it in the control panel. Update to the newest Creative drivers as suggested by Ian and see what happens.

I'll be honest, though: Never has there been a "major" company that has been more lazy or unprofessional with their drivers than Creative. Almost a decade on, people are still having the same issues they had in the early 2000s with poor drivers, crackling audio and crashing.

Reaction score
Reaction score
any updates on this? I've been trying different drivers with reference to other blogs as well but still no luck. :(

Ask a Question