SOLVED Wifi won't stay connected?

Reaction score
I'm puzzled. The wireless adapter on my desktop just won't stay connected to the Internet. I've tried moving the antenna around the room, and I was able to get a steady connection, but only for a short while, after which I lost it for no apparent reason.

The router is two stories down, and you think that'd be a problem...but my laptop picks up the connection just fine. For reference, the wireless adapter I'm using is currently a MSI PC60G

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The truth is, routers work best if they are above or level with, rather than below you, so it may be as simple as the connection not being good enough to maintain. It is a lot simpler to "see" a signal than it is to maintain signal transfers back and forth; the router may be strong enough to reach you but your adapter may not be strong enough to reach it reliably. You may need to consider buying a wi-fi repeater. Article on boosting signal strength.

But, is there any chance your computer is going to sleep or hibernating? Because loss of network upon waking is a common issue which can easily be fixed by going to control panel > device manager and under your network device set it so it is not allowed to sleep.

Reaction score
I bought a Range extender. It was expensive, but the connection has not dropped yet.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.

Ask a Question