Which Graphics Card?

Reaction score
This thread is meeting a dead end.

Anyway, I think I'd be better off with the HP. First, it is a whole lot cheaper than a DIY computer, and it comes with some pretty good parts. What do you all think?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That is your decision, however as stated by others you will experience far better results if you build your own. One item I KNOW for sure is that the quality of power supplies is not near what you would receive versus building your own.

In addition, as stated, the motherboards are totally neutered. You really cannot do much in the BIOS with an HP system motherboard other than a few choices.

You're statement: "pretty good parts" is really off base, What they use is the least expensive they get bids on from suppliers.

Reaction score
Nibiru, you're making this really hard for me. I'm trying to make a DIY build, but as you see, the parts are overly expensive! It will cost over all some $1100! I don't have that much right now.

I'll have to wait until January, at least.

Thanks though.

Reaction score
For the record, I wasn't trying to talk you out of the HP purchase. It was the upgrades I was suggesting you could save money with.

HP buys in bulk and saves even further with lower quality parts as everyone pointed out. This is why the machines can be sold for less than a home built PC. You may not think you have money for a Home-built PC but the reward and satisfaction of building your own machine are tremendous, compared to telling everyone "Ahhh it's just an HP".

For a computer technician to buy a pre-built, it's just about a disgrace to their title. Those of us that build our own machines, love standing behind our accomplishments and supporting our cause (death to pre-built).:lol: If you are not interested in building your own machine, sometimes you have to ignore those of us that are.;)

Reaction score
Reaction score

Woa woa woah. #@$^!!! I can't believe I didn't see those parts!!!! What if you changed that motherboard to the one I put above? Nevermind. Imma hunt those parts you put there and compare them to the ones currently in my cart.

Also, remove the card reader. I don't know why you guys stress so much about this card reader thing. I don't use it. My cameras are all hard drive.

What do you mean minus bloat ware???

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you do switch motherboards that case I have listed will not fit it. I was just posting the basics, which is normally what pre-built PC's have in them. Sure you can always upgrade pre-built PC's before purchase but then the price will always be more than the upgrade was worth.

Reaction score
If you do switch motherboards that case I have listed will not fit it. I was just posting the basics, which is normally what pre-built PC's have in them. Sure you can always upgrade pre-built PC's before purchase but then the price will always be more than the upgrade was worth.
Ok I understand. I'll keep the board you sent me.

Reaction score
Alright, I found a better "MOBO" than the ASRock. See this build:

Total: $698.21 (with $25.29 shipping charge)

Stupid question of the day: (more like hour) If I bought this RIGHT NOW, (in which I DO have money for this build) would I be able to successfully start up the computer and install Windows 7 and get going? Am I missing a part? I heard you need a CPU fan (which I know you have to have it), does the CPU or the motherboard come with a cooler? Yes I know that there is no video card. Once i get approval from y'all that this build is good, I'll start my hunt for a G.C.

:)

Reaction score
The boxed intel processor comes with a generic CPU fan, that is fine for those who cannot OverClock.

Just to make sure, you are not forgetting the mouse, keyboard, and monitor?

BTW; I have also purchased the MSI H67MA-E35 motherboard, both H67MA-E35 and P67A-G45 are nice.

Reaction score
The boxed intel processor comes with a generic CPU fan, that is fine for those who cannot OverClock.

Just to make sure, you are not forgetting the mouse, keyboard, and monitor?

BTW; I have also purchased the MSI H67MA-E35 motherboard, both H67MA-E35 and P67A-G45 are nice.
Thanks for the review there. Yes I know about the mouse and keyboard. Obviously I already have a monitor. I guess IN THE FUTURE I'll upgrade the fan. Thanks for that info. So, you're saying that that build there is fine right? No essential part missing? And will everything fit together nice and neat?

I'm going to Frys whenever I order this and buy accessories there. It's REALLY cheap there. The only problem it's 50 miles from my house.

Reaction score
Thats it, no parts missing. And all cables needed comes with the hardware.
Thanks Clifford the big red dog. ( :) )

All I need now is a video card. Any recommendations???

BTW, I'm not so sure about the power supply that comes with the case, or the case itself. The power supply standalone (it's own page) got some horrible reviews, and it also has no PCI-E connectors, meaning I will have to buy an adapter, and I don't want to go there. I perfer to buy a standalone case, and a standalone PS. I was thinking about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182039 Rosewill PS, which is 600 watt and comes with 2 PCI-E connectors. I was also looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042 Antec Case. Can anybody tell me if a 9inch graphics card will fit in it? Please.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Clifford the big red dog. ( :) )
:D:D:D:D
All I need now is a video card. Any recommendations???
What flavor do you like, AMD or nVidia? I kinda get the feeling you are a AMD Radeon graphics guy.

For a gaming computer, I would settle for nothing less than the Radeon HD 6670 or GeForce GTS 450. It really depends on your setup as to how much more graphical power you would need. For instance what resolution are you going to run and are you planning on using Anti-aliasing? BTW, I only know enough about anti-aliasing to ask the question.
BTW, I'm not so sure about the power supply that comes with the case, or the case itself.
Thats good that you don't trust that case and power supply. That was kinda my point in posting was to show the parts quality in what a pre-built has to offer.

Can anybody tell me if a 9inch graphics card will fit in it? Please.
I'm sorry, I can't honestly answer that question.

Here is the case and power supply that I have.

Reaction score
What flavor do you like, AMD or nVidia? I kinda get the feeling you are a AMD Radeon graphics guy.
Meh. Never used nVidia before. I use full resolution 1600x900, but I can currently do this in my cheapy 4650 so no biggie.
Thats good that you don't trust that case and power supply. That was kinda my point in posting was to show the parts quality in what a pre-built has to offer.
I agree.
I'm sorry, I can't honestly answer that question.
What about that case you sent me?

I think that this power supply I put there before http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182039 is pretty good. 2 PCI connectors, which is exactly what I need.

Reaction score
I don't know about the cheapo case I posted first.

The case I mentioned in my last post has plenty of room for any graphics card

Thermaltake Dokker Mid-tower Case
  • Top-mounted HDD Docking Station enables blazing fast file transfer and effortless hot-swap capability
  • Supports up to 7 fans for superior airflow and cooling efficiency
  • Supports most advanced ATI & NVIDIA® graphic cards up to 12.5"(e.g. ATI 5970)
  • Metal meshed front panel design accelerates cool air intake and increases cooling.
  • Supports high-performance 24cm water cooling radiator.
  • Pre-installed dust filters for fan, PSU and 5.25" drive bays
  • HDD with anti-vibration design, perfect for silent computing solution.

Reaction score
I don't know about the cheapo case I posted first.

The case I mentioned in my last post has plenty of room for any graphics card
Thanks for that you posted it immediately after me, lol

BTW, do you like my new picture? :p

Last edited:

Ask a Question