Which Graphics Card?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I can't figure out how to save a link so I hope a picture will do.

All in all not a great deal cheaper but much better hardware imho.
The I7-2600k is the unlocked version of the HP one. I have one running at 4.2 Ghz without problems.
A very good case and solid ps and a good mobo to overclock.
The vid card is a good middle of the road card but better than 6450 with the HP. This is one area where an extra $75-100 will do you well if you want to.
A 1TB Seagate and LG burner round it out.
I never have to pay tax at Newegg and some of the items had a small shipping charge totaling $8.71 Also some items were eligible for rebates but I don't play that game.

Attachments

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Basically I was trying to say, at some point you have to draw a line, otherwise you'll always be finding something just that little better that you just need to save that little bit extra for.

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to save a link so I hope a picture will do.

All in all not a great deal cheaper but much better hardware imho.
The I7-2600k is the unlocked version of the HP one. I have one running at 4.2 Ghz without problems.
A very good case and solid ps and a good mobo to overclock.
The vid card is a good middle of the road card but better than 6450 with the HP. This is one area where an extra $75-100 will do you well if you want to.
A 1TB Seagate and LG burner round it out.
I never have to pay tax at Newegg and some of the items had a small shipping charge totaling $8.71 Also some items were eligible for rebates but I don't play that game.
THAAAAANK YOOOOU!!!!! Anyway, the harddrive is actually a 1.5 TB but whatever. There also was a free Blu-Ray player but they took it out today.

The i7-2600k you're talking about is clocked at 4.2 or is yours overclocked? Thank you so much for that.

Reaction score
And one more thing, those are the only parts I'd need, right? No fans, etc. Forget about mouse and keyboards, I'll buy those later.

Reaction score
Plus a Motherboard and possibly a Card Reader is basically, what you would be getting with a Pre-built unit.

Reaction score
Plus a Motherboard and possibly a Card Reader is basically, what you would be getting with a Pre-built unit.

No card readers for me. Yes, I need a motherboard. Reccommend one to me please. Also, I need one that has 1 PCI E 16x and 1 PCI 1x for a Wi-Fi card. Get one that has a 1x away from the x16 since I'm getting a card that uses 2 slots, and it can't cover up the 16x. I'm on Newegg right now doing some reasearch.

Thanks.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
And one more thing, those are the only parts I'd need, right? No fans, etc. Forget about mouse and keyboards, I'll buy those later.
You will need some thermal compound. I should have added that in already but:dontknow: I'm old so there!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154012
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

The i7-2600k you're talking about is clocked at 4.2 or is yours overclocked? Thank you so much for that.
They are both 3.4. The unlocked 2600k is so easy to OC and that mobo makes it even easier. The HP mobo and the locked 2600 would be a very difficult OC job. If you decide to OC then you may need an after market cpu cooler but I think you;ll like the 2600k with the turbo-boost without much OC'ing at first.

If you decide to go this route please post questions (if you have any) before you
jump in.

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll just go to my local BestBuy and buy their compound, or I may as well steal some from my brother for free. :) After a couple of minutes, I came across this in my cart:

Total of:

$1,187.90

plus

$10.00 UPS Shipping

Good deal? Good parts? Compatible with each other??

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
You can save on memory if you go with 2 sticks of 4GB dual channel. And unless your in love with Acronis, I'd dump it and go with a free alternative.

I'm an Intel graphics guy but that's my own opinion and other than that it all looks good and compatible. I was recently eying that case for a friend, it looked pretty good.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I didn't understand a thing you said. What do you mean "mobo" and what cracked your system?
Mobo = Motherboard and the one I picked for you didn't make it to the list I posted, (fell through the cracks). My system is fine.

Reaction score
You can save on memory if you go with 2 sticks of 4GB dual channel. And unless your in love with Acronis, I'd dump it and go with a free alternative.

I'm an Intel graphics guy but that's my own opinion and other than that it all looks good and compatible. I was recently eying that case for a friend, it looked pretty good.
Thanks for the pro tip there!!!! I swapped out the 8GB stick for 2 4GB sticks and the price came down to $1,060 (including rebates, which I forgot to remove from the original price 3 threads before). I swapped it out for these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139046 There was another one there for $1 cheaper, but I trust Kingston more.

Anyhow, can you check compatibility for me?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Without trying to confuse the issue, I can recommend Antec cases. I can also highly recommend Acousti-Feet, especially if putting on a shelf or desktop. Picked mine up for £5 ($8), but that would be a buy later accessory.

Reaction score
@Yodap, the Acronis product is a give away that comes with Windows 7.

@linus731, if you are not planning on moving the OS to a new build later you might consider an OEM version and save half the cost on the OS.

BTW: the MSI P67A-G45 motherboard and Core i7 2600k is the setup I currently have.

Reaction score
@linus731, if you are not planning on moving the OS to a new build later you might consider an OEM version and save half the cost on the OS.

BTW: the MSI P67A-G45 motherboard and Core i7 2600k is the setup I currently have.
What do you mean moving the OS? Windows 8? OEM version?

GREAT! It's good to know those parts are compatible. Thanks for the real world example! lol :D

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
@Yodap, the Acronis product is a give away that comes with Windows 7.

Good eye Cliff!

Ask a Question