SOLVED What does your win 7 THINK youre saying? (Speech Recognition)

Reaction score
Heya guys its me the crazy wolf of the forum..XD

We all know that us win 7 users have a really neat little feature in the os called speech recognition right?
(Control panel >small icon display setting to reveal the speech recogntion setting)
its a neat feature that will save us oodles of hassles and typoes we'd otherwise make on a keyboard right?
well.. i started off with it the other day. and discovered that the speech recognition program.. not unlike a kid, needs to be taught what you say and how.
needless to say when i started using it to write stuff on notepad.. i found that what i tried to get it to say turned out different than what it was supposed to be..
so. heres the game i thought up of just for laughs .

open your speech recognition while having the reply to post page loaded and ready
type the sentence youre about to try and say with speech recognition accurately in the reply window

then having notepad open at the same time.. use the speech recognition program on it and try to speak the sentence in the normal tone of voice you use.
then copy off of note and paste the results here in this thread :)
ás it is. no chnging it at all :)
good for laughs if anything XD and it helps your speech learn about your voice too..:)
for example:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Typed: I Love my windows 7 ! it works awesome XD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speech recognition:
I love my window seven works all seeking

XD

and thats all there is to it :)
have fun guys XD

for the record this also helps your speech recognition recognize your voice better as well.. after all it IS training XD

Last edited:
Reaction score
I remember back when I upgraded to Vista I decided to give speech recognition a try. I was surprised at how good it actually was. I mean, sure, it wasn't perfect. I had to go through the training session and all of that, and even then it still made occasional mistakes. But once I got it up and running, it was actually fun to use. I almost started seeing how someone who might not like to type could use it to operate their machine. But in the end, I guess I still see it as a novelty. I don't know when I'm going to give up my keyboard/mouse combo!

MTM

Reaction score
I remember back when I upgraded to Vista I decided to give speech recognition a try. I was surprised at how good it actually was. I mean, sure, it wasn't perfect. I had to go through the training session and all of that, and even then it still made occasional mistakes. But once I got it up and running, it was actually fun to use. I almost started seeing how someone who might not like to type could use it to operate their machine. But in the end, I guess I still see it as a novelty. I don't know when I'm going to give up my keyboard/mouse combo!
WSR is so good we wrote an article, "Getting Started With Windows Speech Recognition."

Marty

Reaction score
LOL i know..but i thought it would be something fun for us as forum users to play with :) it was merely an idea.. and not a bad idea for those links either ..:)
for those who would be interested in that guide :) Thank you ..:)
it was supposed to be an amusing but helpful topic for others to learn and amuse themselves with :) kind of like a just for the hell of it kind of thing :)

BTW guys. ive finally got the actual retail version of win 7 ultimate and its working great :)

YAY NO MORE BETA!

Reaction score
In my view, the dream or the ultimate realization of this kind of technology would be something like what you see on Star Trek -- in other words, voice recognition paired with the ability of the computer to comprehend free-form, natural language. Imagine if you could literally converse with your computer instead of issuing cryptic commands or typing -- and if it could understand you and then carry out complex actions. I don't know if we'll ever get to that point, but that definitely would be sweet!

(Of course, there might be drawbacks. Imagine an office environment in which dozens of people at the same time are speaking out loud to their PCs.)

MTM

Reaction score
In my view, the dream or the ultimate realization of this kind of technology would be something like what you see on Star Trek -- in other words, voice recognition paired with the ability of the computer to comprehend free-form, natural language.
I'm sure the WSR (Windows Speech Recognition) workgroup out at Redmond, Eric, Rob etc., would love to achieve your dream. However, the processing power necessary, similar to that of the human brain, will not be available in my lifetime and possibly not in my children's.

Marty Markoe
Microsoft MVP

MTM

Reaction score
I'm not willing to sift through all that to read your story and offer advice on how to improve. What you need to do right now to improve is implement the rules of proper punctuation and capitalization.
Which story are you referring to?

Marty Markoe
Microsoft MVP

edit : Ian - turns out the quoted post was a spammer - I've removed all their posts and sig ads :)

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Imagine if you could literally converse with your computer instead of issuing cryptic commands or typing -- and if it could understand you and then carry out complex actions.......
Yeah. No more comments of "B*gg*r Me!" when reading something that astounds you!!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I dunno... but I use Dragon Natural Speaking 10 and pretty much never use my keyboard of mouse. A 200$ well spent.

I just command my computer with my voice.

MTM

Reaction score
I dunno... but I use Dragon Natural Speaking 10 and pretty much never use my keyboard of mouse. A 200$ well spent.

I just command my computer with my voice.
Dragon is an excellent, mature speech recognition software. The new Dragon version 11 is even better. Among other features, it has a window that sits beside the active window and has commands related to be active window. When you switch applications, the commands within this help window switch to commands available in the new window.

If you have not tried WSR, it may be worth trying as I believe the commands and, "Show Numbers," features are even better than those in Dragon.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
Microsoft MVP

MTM

Reaction score
Which story are you referring to?

Marty Markoe
Microsoft MVP

edit : Ian - turns out the quoted post was a spammer - I've removed all their posts and sig ads :)
Hmmm????

Microsoft issued us the MVP award for our contributions to Windows Speech Recognition which included the development of the WSRToolkit (now up to version 2). The WSRToolkit adds the most important features found in Dragon (a minimum of $200.00 software) at a ridiculously low cost of $19.99 and FREE to people with verifiable disabilities.

However, you in your wisdom deem my contributions including the article on how to use WSR, as SPAM.

Let me know if you intend to reinstate the links. If not, I'm not wasting my time on this forum with narrow minded thinking rooted in the mentality of the 1990's.

Sincerely,
Microsoft MVP

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm????

Microsoft issued us the MVP award for our contributions to Windows Speech Recognition which included the development of the WSRToolkit (now up to version 2). The WSRToolkit adds the most important features found in Dragon (a minimum of $200.00 software) at a ridiculously low cost of $19.99 and FREE to people with verifiable disabilities.

However, you in your wisdom deem my contributions including the article on how to use WSR, as SPAM.

Let me know if you intend to reinstate the links. If not, I'm not wasting my time on this forum with narrow minded thinking rooted in the mentality of the 1990's.

Sincerely,
Microsoft MVP
Uh... I didn't really understand what this is about. Could you please explain?

Anyway, all I meant by "We know who you are" is that you don't have to post your name and stuff each time you post. It isn't any kind of critisisme.

I'm pretty interested in WSR, but I don't think I'll be able to buy it. I had bought Dragon a long time ago, and the upgrade wasn't too expensive, but I've just gone broke with all my web server stuff, so it'll have to wait. But it sure looks nice :)

Last edited:

MTM

Reaction score
Uh... I didn't really understand what this is about. Could you please explain?
It was not you Fire Cat. Ian removed useful information like links to the WSRToolkit and Getting Started With Windows Speech Recognition. No one has to click the link or is being forced to purchase anything. They are just being informed there are useful things out there.

Anyway, all I meant by "We know who you are" is that you don't have to post your name and stuff each time you post. It isn't any kind of critisisme.
Yes, you know who I am. However, new people you don't know about come to a Forum and are looking for information. If there is a link they can get the information at their fingertips. Anyone who thinks I'm going to retire on the money I make selling a $19.99 software needs a reality check?

I'm pretty interested in WSR, but I don't think I'll be able to buy it. I had bought Dragon a long time ago, and the upgrade wasn't too expensive, but I've just gone broke with all my web server stuff, so it'll have to wait. But it sure looks nice :)
WSR is built into Windows Vista and Windows 7. The Windows 7 WSR has several enhancements over the Vista WSR.

Marty Markoe,eMicrophones, Inc.

Reaction score
Hi MTM - Welcome to w7forums

The person that you quoted was banned from the forum and all their post with them. I can not know for sure what Ian did, it seems to me he simply left a message in your post of what happened to the original message in the quote.

Please understand that the MVP status does not give someone a badge and the right to post whatever they wish on any site. You are more than welcome to stay here as long as you wish. However trying to bluff your way with the site admin is not going to work.

It was not you Fire Cat. Ian removed useful information like links to the WSRToolkit and Getting Started With Windows Speech Recognition. No one has to click the link or is being forced to purchase anything. They are just being informed there are useful things out there.
Links to other paid programs are useful too, still yet they are spamming links and not allowed to be posted. Ian decision is final as far as the rest of the forum is concerned. If you feel you have been treated unfairly send him a private message.

MTM

Reaction score
Please understand that the MVP status does not give someone a badge and the right to post whatever they wish on any site. You are more than welcome to stay here as long as you wish. However trying to bluff your way with the site admin is not going to work.
I think I was pretting direct, not bluffing.:)

Links to other paid programs are useful too, still yet they are spamming links and not allowed to be posted. Ian decision is final as far as the rest of the forum is concerned. If you feel you have been treated unfairly send him a private message.
My own forum, www.msspeech-forum.com, gets several REAL SPAM every day that I have to clean out every AM. All of it from China and India and never related to the intent of the forum (WSR).

Every link I've posted herre is relevant to the questions at hand concerning WSR. You may not have an interest, but others may. A blanket statement that paid programs are SPAM is antiquated thinking from old USENET days. My links are honest and relevant to the topic. If you don't wish to click on them, then please do not.

Marty

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm sure the WSR (Windows Speech Recognition) workgroup out at Redmond, Eric, Rob etc., would love to achieve your dream. However, the processing power necessary, similar to that of the human brain, will not be available in my lifetime and possibly not in my children's.
I applaud all the work that's being done, and I value every advance that we make along the way in all areas. Of course, I can barely imagine what computers will be able to do many years from now. If something like carrying on a normal conversation is within reach, then I'm sure that would just be the start! :)

Ask a Question