Weird issue with partitioned drive

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying windows 7.
After having installed it I've seen something strange.
I usually have the disk drive partitioned as following:
C partition, the root one (with programs and OS)
D partition, with all the stuff (projects, downloads, etc.)

Now, after the first boot in my computer I've seen only the partition C.
So, I've opened the computer management / Disk management. Here I've found the partition D.
So, I've assigned a letter to the partition D and now win7 seems to see that partition correctly.
But if I try to do a scandisk (via TOOLS / Error-Checking), a message appears asking to dismount the partition: 'Windows can't check the disk while it's in use. Do you want to dismount this volume first? Note: All opened handles to this volume will become invalid.'

That's sounds really weird to me. Now my doubt is how win7 is managing this partition.

Any hint?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's quite normal - it just means that Windows is accessing files on the D: so it can't run a full chkdsk. You can force dismount it to scan, but that could cause problems with any applications that are open and using the D drive. However, if you select "no" it should schedule the scan for the next time you boot Windows :)

Reaction score
The thing is I never seen a "dismount" function in previous windows versions: the message was about check the partition at next reboot.
Since I'm noticing some delay on this partition and because after the first boot Windows 7 didn't see the partition as far as I've assigned a letter to it, I've been a bit confused about that...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the dismount feature has been there in XP and Vista, but perhaps W7 is the only one to access the drive whilst you've tried to do a scan. I'm not sure why Windows 7 didn't detect it first time round though :confused: I'll see if I can find any info on that :)

Ask a Question