Want to Know how to enable virtualization

Reaction score
I have an ACER Aspire 5517-5136 laptop, and would very much like to enable virtualization. If anyone knows the secret please share it with me

Thanks
Al

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello alex66!

I think you mean using VMware. I don't mess with that stuff. To me it's superfluous.

However there is other people here who use it and swear by it and such. Try the SEARCH tab at the top of this page and see what you come up with.

Welcome to the website! Glad to have you here! :ciao:

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Is this for Windows Virtual PC? If so, you can visit the site for that program. There's a scanner to determine if you can do it or not, and if you can, if it's enabled or not. There's a set of instructions for each brand, you'll have to comb the site carefully to find the instructions. It involves going into your BIOS, the procedure takes a couple of minutes. It takes longer finding everything than actually doing it. There's other VM's that doesn't require this, XP Mode from Microsoft doesn't require it anymore. And Welcome to the forum, alex66! I just noticed this is your first post. If you need anymore help with this, feel free to post back, or if you have any other issues, do the same. I have 5 VM's, but only one of them required the setting, but it's changed since then. But one thing, XP Mode from Microsoft requires you to have Windows 7 Pro or above. They claim it's for small businesses to adapt, I say that it's a money issue.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hello alex66!

I think you mean using VMware. I don't mess with that stuff. To me it's superfluous.

However there is other people here who use it and swear by it and such. Try the SEARCH tab at the top of this page and see what you come up with.

Welcome to the website! Glad to have you hear! :ciao:
It can be superfluous, but it can also be the difference in replacing a printer costing a couple of grand or more that works fine, or an expensive camera, or a program that you need for your job, that Windows 7 just won't run. There's hundreds of threads here on Canon products that has no 64 bit drivers. VM's come to the rescue here, and there's one solution on here that's entirely free. The program and OS are entirely free, VM Lite. Also, VM's saves you from having to dual boot, saving you time on the job or in school. Microsoft even pushes them, every week I get newsletters and this is a constant topic, along with "cloud" computing. They really are useful.

Reaction score
Hi

I have an ACER Aspire 5517-5136 laptop, and would very much like to enable virtualization. If anyone knows the secret please share it with me

Thanks
Al
Hi Al. Im not familiar with acer nortebooks, but if that one had virtualization the only option you can use is activate it on the bios. But be careful if you have never tried to mess with the bios, try not to change anything else. If there is an option on it allowing you to enable virtualization, there you go!!! Then restart and thats it!!!

Just two things. If you are going to use vmware, to work with another OS like Windows XP, it will work very good and there will not be any problem. If you are using the Microsoft virtual machine, will work fine also. But if you are going to install MacOSX >Snow leopard< on vmware (And works PERFECT - But only on intel processors), and that particular notebook has an AMD processor. It will not work at all. Another fact you have to bear in mind is that not all processors can handle virtualization.

Hope this information its useful for you

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess using Virtual Box will be a good option as it is free and is a good hypervisor solution.But if you want to use VMware which is the best virtualisation solution on the market, then you have to spend a lot of money , around 185$ for VMware Workstation 7.To view full tutorial on How to use VMware for Using Different OS in Windows 7 , see this page !

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
VM Lite also has a free workstation for download (no affiliation with VM Ware). It's on this forum. On the main forum page, click Search, make sure "threads" are checked, type "VM Lite" w/o the quotes, go down a few threads, it's titled:" XP Mode in Windows 7 w/o Hardware Virtualization". What you'll have is a free XP Pro SP3 (pre-activated). Or you can download the workstation alone (registration required), and install what you want in it. I just recommend it mostly for those who has no OS to install inside of it. But if you have your own OS, then Virtual Box by Sun (free) is a good choice. I don't know anything about the paid ones, I'm not paying for a VM, period. I just have a couple to help members of this forum out, personally, I don't need them at all.

Ask a Question