W7 does not show desktop icons or start button

Reaction score
Hi,

I use W7 Ultimate and I reformatted my hard drive by installing W7 fresh.

A virus was causing this problem but I still have this problem.

When my PC goes asleep and I wake it up by moving mouse vigourously, then I find Microsoft Logo on the screen and nothing else. No startup button or icons.

I have restart my PC under safemode and start from card, the first option.

Any cure please? Window XP Pro. was quite good.

Trouble with W7.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A virus can do bad things to XP Pro or W7, best to avoid them in any OS.

I suggest you try a windows repair from the Windows install DVD or a system repair DVD or from the hard drive restore partition if you have one of those.

Reaction score
Hi Brother,

I have tried W7 repair option and it found one fault. I think it repaired it but it keeps on turning.

I even reformatted my hard drive by installing W7 afresh but to no avail.

May be a virus or trojan. I ran Malaware and no infection found.

It is a real headache. W7 is more difficult than XP Pro.

A virus can do bad things to XP Pro or W7, best to avoid them in any OS.

I suggest you try a windows repair from the Windows install DVD or a system repair DVD or from the hard drive restore partition if you have one of those.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In anything new there is a learning curve, it will get easier.

You say you formatted your hard drive - did you specifically tell it to format before reinstall? Was your data gone and you had to create new LogonIDs and reinstall all your programs - is that what you mean by formatted and reinstalled? Or did you just put in the W7 DVD and let it try to repair (that technically would not be called formatting because it does not involve formatting the hard drive)?

Here are some ideas, things to consider/try ...

I'm not sure what you mean by "you see the Microsoft logo". To me that sounds like it is the logon screen, which is actually pretty common when waking from sleep. In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization see if you have "on resume, display logon screen checked" and maybe turn that off if it is on.

I do know a lot of computers had to have BIOS updates to handle ACPI which are sleep settings. so one thing to check for is a BIOS update for your computer. It's possible that could help.

It is also possible that you need to set some devices (control panel > device manager) to never sleep. Look for items that have Power Management tabs and play with those options

You might try turning off hybrid sleep in control panel>power options ... advanced, as that causes some people problems.

If that doesn't work you can do like I did and just disable sleep & hibernate completely.

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having problems starting my W7 that I uploaded after reformatting. I had a virus and that was causing problems.

My computer starts in safemode after I press F8 key. I get choices and the last one start from DVD works.

I have run W7 repair and there is one fault.

Number of root causes = 1

Then after every test completed successfully, I get Error code 0x0.

O.S. Boot successful.

Help please.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I merged this last post in with your previous thread.

Did you detect the virus after you reinstalled or before? Was the reinstall an attempt to rid your self of the virus? And I asked this above but I not see a reply - did you specifically tell W7 to format the drive when you did the reinstall?

I suggest you go to our Freeware DB and download TDSSKILLER and a few versions of RKILL and then boot your system into safe mode, run TDSSKILLER, run 2 or 3 versions of RKILL and then without rebooting, run a complete virus scan again. (Some viruses protect themselves and can hide from scans unless they are stopped first, that is what TDSSKILLER and RKILL do, at which point your A/V can see them to hopefully delete them).

Let's make sure the virus is really gone.

Ask a Question