Flash Drive periodically does not show in my computer

Reaction score
I have this issue where I insert a flash drive and windows makes the 'hardware insert' sound but my flash drive doesn't show up in 'My Computer'!!! this happens randomly!!! if I remove the flash drive the drive appears for a spit second and then disappears!!! but if I insert the flash drive again same thing!!! and it does this with all USB ports!!! and it only does this with removable disks (flash drives)... my mp3 player, external hard drive camera etc NEVER has this issue!!! just USB flash drives!!! and all flash drives will do this at one point or another!!! the SFC SCANNOW comes up clean so that can't be it!!!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a corrupted driver someplace. If you go to your Device Manager screen, expand the tree for Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Are any of them marked with red or yellow icons?

Do the flash drives work completely fine in other computers?

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a corrupted driver someplace. If you go to your Device Manager screen, expand the tree for Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Are any of them marked with red or yellow icons?

Do the flash drives work completely fine in other computers?

none whatsoever!!! and they do work just fine on other computers!!!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Alright, I'd try this. Go back to the Device Manager. Find the ICH10, or similarly named USB Controllers under the USB section, and uninstall all of them. Same thing for any USB 3.0 controllers. There shouldn't be any devices left when you finish.

After that I would suggest you restart Windows and let it reinstall the USB drivers. You may need to download drivers from the manufacturer's website, particularly USB 3.0 drivers. Make sure you wait until they are fully reinstalled before you attempt to use the USB flash drive again.

Ask a Question