W7 64bit, was this a mistake?

Reaction score
my new pc is running w7 but in 64bit form ( whatever that means!) the guy in the shop assured me everything I used on Vista would work fine & even faster but Im finding more & more stuff just isnt compatible with this 64bit thing! latest disappointment is Skype - just tried to download it but it then tells me it does not work with 64bit W7. Is there any easy way to change to 32bit?

Reaction score
1. Skype works with ALL bit versions of Windows 7.
I am reply you from my Win 7 Home premium 64-bit computer. And, I have Skype installed in it.
Try this link and install Skype again....
http://www.downloadinfo.co/lp/revie...927166b5d91da1a949bbc826d6a2eed&ts=1388422441

2. I started with a Windows Vista 32-bit computer. Then I bought another one with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
In BOTH computers I installed the same programs and they all work perfectly.
Perhaps, if you don't mind, give us a list of programs which do not work in your Win 7 computer.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI, 64bit is not automatically faster than 32bit so what the salesperson told you isn't exactly true, but 64-bit would be faster for programs optimized to use it. Also if you ran any old software which is 16-bit, that will not run natively on a 64-bit machine, but it is very unlikely you still run any 16-bit software unless it is very old games.

That being said, if you have 3GB of RAM or more then there is very little reason to want 32bit any more. It sounds like you may need to download the latest version of Skype, because it will definitely run on a 64-bit machine.

Like David mentioned, provide us with a list of software, including version, that you cannot get to run on W7-64bit and we'll check it over.

Now one thing that is quite different between 32 & 64bit are the drivers, so you will want to download the 64-bit drivers for your peripherals, including your printer. But those drivers will be free to download from the manufacturers website so that is easily resolved.

Reaction score
my new pc is running w7 but in 64bit form ( whatever that means!) the guy in the shop assured me everything I used on Vista would work fine & even faster but Im finding more & more stuff just isnt compatible with this 64bit thing! latest disappointment is Skype - just tried to download it but it then tells me it does not work with 64bit W7. Is there any easy way to change to 32bit?
You might want to read this regarding 32-bit and 64-bit.....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7
excerpt :
Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?
Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.
Device drivers designed for the 32-bit version of Windows don't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows. To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage.

Reaction score
ok, thanks for your advice guys. i have a couple of other threads on this forum already relating to my my Logitech keyboard which has to be fair only a minor proplem with the new pc, the other 9 apart from Skype) problem ive encountered is a camera. Its a Thumbs up mini dv camera & the pc will just not recognise it. I went to the website & downloaded the driver directly but I am told when I try to run it , that the file is not recognised! . I have tried this twice in case it was corrupted during the download.
Apasrt from that, Im quite happy with the new W7 PC!
have a great NY!

Reaction score
1. Skype works with ALL bit versions of Windows 7.
I am reply you from my Win 7 Home premium 64-bit computer. And, I have Skype installed in it.
Try this link and install Skype again....
http://www.downloadinfo.co/lp/review/skype/MTA4ODc3MzQzNV81MmMxYTUyOWExNjY3/?kw=skype 6.7&subid=DISKCA_S&cust=skype&type=skype&sl=1&gclid=CNHtsqm12LsCFYg-MgodYiQA_Q&utm_campaign=DISKCA_S&fwd=1&rnd=0eb13a0c6927166b5d91da1a949bbc826d6a2eed&ts=1388422441

2. I started with a Windows Vista 32-bit computer. Then I bought another one with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
In BOTH computers I installed the same programs and they all work perfectly.
Perhaps, if you don't mind, give us a list of programs which do not work in your Win 7 computer.
thanks a lot! this link has worked! Apart from all the bloatware bundled with it!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What specifically is not recognized for miniDV? I downloaded the driver and I see it is a zip file (miniDV.zip) so you would first need to unzip the file to a temporary folder, then go to sub-folder USB_Driver, right-click on M3usb.inf, and choose install. That should install the USB driver for the camera. If you also need the WriteTime software create a folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\ called WriteTime and copy the WriteTime.exe into that folder.

Even if you cannot get the drivers to load for your mini-camera you can still just plug its' memory card into a card reader and access the data just like a flash drive.

OH, and as for the extra "stuff" with Skype, I totally agree with you. It is very important to watch every piece of "freeware" to uncheck all the extra toolbars and extra software they "offer" to slip in. It all helps pay for the "free" because they get paid a few coins for each install of those extras.

Reaction score
Hi, when I right click on the M3usb.sys I only get open, cut,copy delete or properties as options - no "install"!
Am I looking at the correct file to open? it says its 30kb The other 3 files are all 1kb or 2 kb each so I dont think they are large enough to contain a drive? ( even 30kb?)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The extension on the file you need is .inf (the .inf is the installation file while the .sys is the actual driver it will install) but if you have known extensions hidden then it likely just appears as M3usb, size 3kb, Item type "Setup Information".

NOTE: In Internet Explorer you can go to Organize > Folder and Search Options, View Tab and remove the check next to "Hide extensions for known file types" and then you will see the extensions like .inf

Last edited:
Reaction score
this is all I see when i open the download, what do i need to do to open it?
upload_2014-1-2_17-51-40.png

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's the very top, the first one, listed as type "setup information". Right-click on it and choose "Install".

Ask a Question