64bit 4GB (3.25 Usable). Waste of an update?

Reaction score
I have googled this issue since yesterday spending £150 on Win7 Professional, only to find out that when its installed, I only have 3.25 usable.

Originally on 32bit Vista, I use 3DS MAX and Photoshop ALOT, and needed the extra RAM space due to those crashing with heavy workflow. Is this now a wasted update to 64 Win7 as I seem to now have less RAM then on 32??

With 3DS on, iTunes and Firefox my physical memory is at 80%.

Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to w7forums. : )

1. First of all, what is the total amount of RAM as it appears in the BIOS?

2. Are both memory sticks of the same pair and matching each other?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website Darkstryder360!

Have you checked to verify that your RAM is fully seated in the DIMM sockets?

I had this situation once with a friend's computer. After removing and the re-seating the RAM it was then fully recognized by the system Sometimes a RAM stick will not seat properly and can be askew just a tiny bit causing issues.

Did you verify, as cybercore suggested, that you RAM is a matched set from the same manufacturer? Have you checked the RAM & DIMM settings in the motherboard's BIOS to be sure they match the RAM stick settings?

One thing I have found the hard way is that sometimes with new motherboards, the DIMM sockets pins are fairly stiff when mounting RAM. Sometimes inserting and removing the RAM sticks 2 or 3 times will help solve the seating issue.

In addition, I recently discovered a handy product called: DeoxIT Gold electrical contact enhancer. It comes as a spray or liquid and once the contacts are treated, the cards plug-in much easier and the contacts are enhanced electrically. It even acts as a lubricant allowing easier insertion of RAM, PCI-E and PCI cards. Also SATA cable connections, etc.

It is used and highly endorsed by the major electronic and aerospace manufacturers too.

This is the version I use:

DeoxIT® GOLD, #GN5MS-15
Superior Conditioner, Lubricant & Protectant for Gold Metal Electrical Connections

NEW . . .
DeoxIT® GOLD GN5 Mini Spray (formerly ProGold), 5% solution, 14 g, non-flammable, quick dry - non drip and safe on plastics!
(Applications = 150 +/-)

Contact Enhancer & Protector - Maintains New System Performance!

Part No. GN5MS-15

It lists for $12.95, but I got mine on eBay for $4.50 plus $3.00 shipping for a total of $7.50 ! :)

What I do is moisten a cotton swap (Q-Tip) and then treat the electrical contacts that way. Saves on over-spray and extends the usage so none is wasted.

I highly recommend this product!

http://www.caig.com/

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you using an onboard graphics card? Also, is there a "Memory Remap" option in your BIOS, and if so, what is it set to?

Another thing to check, can you load up msconfig (just run msconfig.exe from the start menu) and go to Boot > Advanced Options and make sure Maximum Memory isn't checked (if it's already not checked, try entering 4096 and see if that makes a difference).

Ask a Question