SOLVED what was the point in 64bit with only 2GB RAM

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As I've read over and over, it seems to take at least 4GB RAM to unleash the power of 64 bit computers. That being said, why do the PC makers install only 2GB and says it's not upgradable. In the future, will I be able to get a 4GB RAM upgrade for it. Had I paid attention when purchasing, I would have noticed. However, my PC runs fine for me now, but what if I want to install some RAM hog programs? This is almost 2010, not 2000, when if you had 512MB RAM, you had something. But I assume that in the not too distant future, a 4GB option will be available to me.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I'd have to see the PC specs before I could tell you with certainty, but "not upgradeable" can potentially mean there are no free RAM slots. In order to upgrade the machine you would need to first remove the 2GB of RAM before you could install the new RAM into their slots. In effect you would be stuck holding that 2GB of RAM you couldn't use.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
What Kougar said OR it could be that for the package you purchased it was limited in what features could be changed out and they opted to make the memory "not upgradeable" (meaning that you can't change the memory at point purchase, but you could still be able to do so afterwards).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This PC is one of HP's new ones, the MS214 all in one (quick ship model only), it was a promotion sent to me. It has tons of great features compared to my old XP laptops. Built in webcam, a lot of PC for $579. Anyway, the Belarc Advisor states that I have 1024MB in Slot A & 1024MB in Slot B, total 2048MB. So apparently there stands the potential to upgrade, if I can find compatible memory sticks. I replaced the ones in one of my laptops myself, going from 256MB x2 to 512MB x2 for 1GB total. It is an older Dell laptop that originally had a total of 256MB. There is a place that I've bought that memory from. It is 1-800-4MEMORY. They should be able to tell me my options. It would be more costly to buy from HP. This place sells brand name memory. Samsung was what they last sent me. It would seem to me to be no point in making a 64 bit with 2GB RAM and not be upgradable, because it takes at least 4GB to begin to unleash it's full potential. Kougar and draceena, thanks to both of you for your insight to my concerns. I'm sure that the two of you can appreciate my concerns on this. You two have been at this longer than me. They should never ship a 64 bit PC with less than 4GB RAM, at the very least, give me the option. I would've paid extra.

Reaction score
HP Pavilion All-in-One MS214 NEW
Memory - 2GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM 2 DIMMS
Memory speed - PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB ultimate performance)
Total memory slots - 2 SoDIMM (200-pin, DDR2) (occupied)
The only way to upgrade would be to replace the modules you have installed.

If your motherboard will support 4GB there should not be a problem.
Your chipset shows to be - AMD M780G / SB700 - I don't see any data on max memory for the chipset.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Motherboard manufactures state 2GB, 4Gb, 8GB, 16GB etc but in fact its a bit over as most RAM is 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB, 2048MB etc

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Guess what? I went to Wal Mart tonight to pickup some food and other essentials, the weather is going to be nasty the next 3+ days. I had to pick up some computer screen cleaner, as in another post I was advised not to use alcohol to clean with. When I was looking for the cleaner, I passed by the desktops. The exact same make & model of mine was there. You know what else? It had 4GB RAM & a 500GB hard drive. Mine is 2GB RAM & a 320GB hard drive. You know what else? It was $20 less at Wal Mart than I paid straight from the factory. I wished I never saw that computer. But now I know for sure that it will hold 4GB. So that question is behind me, and as soon as I can, I'll do the RAM upgrade. But you would think that a 64 bit computer requires 4GB, because I've read it here and on several other forums and in tech articles. I read lots of that stuff. It runs fine for now, but when the shift to more and more 64 bit programs becomes the norm, the PC won't perform to it's potential. But one thing for sure, I'll never buy direct from the factory again. They emailed me the promo for the PC, and I bit. The price was good, I researched and couldn't find one with all of the built in features for the money, so I bought it. However, I overlooked or didn't see that it was 64 bit. But the computer is still a good one, the best that I've had, and by far the best OS that I've ever ran. And I've installed RAM before, so I've just decided to do just that. But in 5 or 10 years or however long this PC lasts, I'll be sure to pay attention to the specs a lot more. This thread is solved.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Man, I hate it when that happens! You bite on a great deal and still stumble across a better one... :D

To explain my above post a bit better... most PC's tend to have 4 RAM slots. Some now come with as many as 6. But in laptops and budget model desktops there are usually only 2 RAM slots. Typically both slots are filled so manufacturers list it as "not upgradeable", hence you can't add onto the existing RAM but can only replace it outright. A few will be listed as upgradeable, which would mean the 2nd slot was still available to accept an upgrade.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Kougar, I understood your post, that's why I ran the Belarc Advisor to see what I had. And mine is a budget model with 2 RAM slots. They each have a 1024MB chip in them. What I'm going to do is outright replace the two chips so that it will have a 2048MB in both slots. That will give me the 4GB that I want. See, when I bought it, it was a "quick ship" model. The only things I could add to the order were accessories such as a printer, wireless keyboard & mouse, etc. But I didn't know that PC's came with 4 to 6 RAM slots. That's interesting. Those must be the ones that costs a lot. I'm not spending that kind of money for a computer. If it lasts 5 to 6 years and a major failure happens, I'll trash it and buy another one. A year after you buy one, it starts becoming outdated anyway. If this one lasts until Windows 9 is released, I'll be happy.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I had to pick up some computer screen cleaner, as in another post I was advised not to use alcohol to clean with.
You CAN use isopropyl alcohol or as it is known; rubbing alcohol. 71% alcohol to water. Just be sure to use the isopropyl alcohol that you get a the drug store. It works great and won't injure your screen. Just use a clean, microfiber cloth or one that's lint free. Flannel cloth works very well. You can dilute the rubbing alcohol to 50% if you want with some distilled water.

GOOGLE it if you don't believe me.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I forgot exactly who it was, but that's what I was doing, and he said it would ruin today's soft screens. I just paid $675 for the computer, and I didn't want to take a chance. But when I got my glasses, the lady who fitted me said I could clean them with plain old rubbing alcohol. The lenses are plastic on them and the alcohol hasn't hurt them. After reading his post, I bought some computer/tv screen cleaner. It's a gel cleaner and costs $10.

Ask a Question