SOLVED xp to w7 64bit to 32 bit problem

GRD

Reaction score
Hi, Looking for help with an xp to 7 update. Did the windows 7 upgrade advisor and thought that I would be able to do the 64 bit upgrade only to find out after purchasing the 64 bit w7 home premium intended for distribution w/a new pc that it would not allow me the custom install mode nor the setup.exe mode only setup and when opening that rec'd message D:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application. Upon checking my old Dell E510 system it is a 32 bit, so I am at a stand still. Upgrade Advisor stated cpu speed 2.8 ghz, 3.5gb ram, 23gb free space on C, custom install required. I do have a w7 home product key info that came with the 64 bit. Looking for help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
you can never upgrade from 32bit to 64bit w/o a fresh install.

you will want to back up, to an external drive, all your data (consider downloading & using Windows Easy Transfer for WinXP) & also backup any software downloaded that you plan to reinstall and dig out any on dvd; then format the hard drive & boot to the W7 64-bit & install W7. Then restore your data & install all your programs.

GRD

Reaction score
Was able to do a custom install using the Dell reinstall software method. Working on restoring my date. thanks for comments.

Ask a Question