Upgrade from Vista Home Premium

MRH

Reaction score
My OS is a 32 bit, Vista Home Premium. I'm considering an upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate, which I understand is 64 bit. Are these systems/software compatible, or can I expect operational problems?

MRH

Reaction score
Hi MRH - Welcome to w7forums

Every edition of Windows 7 comes in both 32-Bit or 64-Bit with the exception of Windows Starter which is only 32-Bit. You still have a choice of 32-Bit if that is your wish.

However most 32-Bit applications will work with the 64-Bit versions. The biggest concern with 64-Bit is finding drivers for your older hardware. If your hardware only has support for 32-Bit, you will find they no longer work with the 64-Bit Windows.

Go here and see what Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor has to say. Download and install the application. After you run the utility, you can see what you may or may not have problems with.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Make sure you have your printer and all accessories installed at the time of the scan. Many users assume that their printers will work with any OS, when it fact they don't. The reason that I added this to the thread is there's a large amount of threads started regarding 10+ year old printers that does not work with Windows 7, even the 32 bit ones have problems. I've yet to find a 32 bit driver that will work with mine, although after two months of searching, I found a 64 bit driver to use with my desktop. Canon printers are especially a problem with this when installing 64 bit Windows 7.

Ask a Question