Upgrading to Win7..but...

Reaction score
Well I currently have Vista SP2 32 bit. Now I want to take advantage of my CPU etc and install Win7 64bit. Now I believe that you cannot upgrade and a fresh installation is the only option..but...I was wondering if I used Easy Transfer to save my files etc, fresh install on Win 7 and then use the Easy Transfer to put back my files...would that work? Or is this just an idea that simply wont work?:dontknow:

Any comments or experience of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

Reaction score
Welcome to the site coolchris :ciao:

I believe thats the whole point behind Easy Transfer is so you can migrate from one OS to another OS with ease - I havent tried it because Im old fashion - I learn along time ago to keep my files separate from the OS - I dont know why Microsoft tries so hard to keep them tangled together

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome mate! Yer, but I was thinking of transferring not only emails etc, but also Program Files and Program Data as well (optional in Easy Transfer), and maybe some of the files/programs/games may not transfer over too well. I know what you mean about keeping stuff seperate, but once installed they usually all go in the main C: drive, which is the operating system's drive.

I was wondering if anyone has actually tried this and what the outcome was.

Reaction score
You can do an upgrade install but only if you have Vista, and since you do you are abliged to do so.
However it is not recommened incase there are any problems, viruses for example. and these might pass on to the W7 RC installation.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Chris :ciao:

I don't think it's possible to transfer applications from Vista > W7, only their settings and raw data. The easy transfer wizard is a great tool for moving things like documents and e-mails, but you will still need to re-install your other applications like Office/FireFox/Foxit etc...

Doing a clean install does take a little longer, but it gives you a blank slate when it comes to customising and is fun to do :) The Easy Transfer tool will move the important stuff over and then you can install whichever apps you like.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. I figured as such. I think I will wait until the Final comes out around October (!) and do it all then. In the mean time, Ill stick to my Dual Boot.

Ask a Question