Unusual X-fi Problem: EMI?

Reaction score
Hello W7 forums, I recently bought a PCI-E 1x X-Fi Titanium card to replace my PCI X-fi Xtreme Gamer in freeing up some space for a future SLI build. I uninstalled the previous drivers to the best of my knowledge.

However, I don't think this problem is driver-based. My sound shorts out entirely within maybe ten minutes of actual sound card use. It went especially loud and staticky when I was doing some sound editing work; I had to unplug the headphones to make the sound stop. I have to restart to retrieve my sound back.

Now, I reinstalled the drivers and while that was happening the sound gave that familiar whine symptomatic of electromagnetic interference. I moved my mouse around, scrolled a page--the whine became louder. My Titanium is just above my GTX 460 in the first PCI-E 1x slot.

So, can it be conclusively called electromagnetic interference? I can't really place the card anywhere else without sacrificing my SLI capability. If it is EMI, should I shell out the extra money for the Fatal1ty EMI shield? Are there any more bootleg solutions? I couldn't find exactly like this so I'm asking here. Thanks, guys.

Reaction score
Sound Issues

Yonder~

IF you have the card that I'm thinkin of you have, its ALMOST the same as mine,

Its a Creative(sound blaster) Brand.

I had a simialr issue, go back to the creatrive site and download the BETA version( it should be version 2.16.49 BETA on thier site) of their "console" software. Yes, well aware it says "BETA" in the software description, but it does help with quite a few issues that people are having with thier Creative cards and Win 7.

I was on the phone and in e mails for HOURS AND DAYS to get things workng right.

Once you have things the way you, or they, suggest you DON"T have to have the console running all the time at all. All the console does it "activate" diffrent ports on the card. After that you can actually cancel in msconfig anything that has to do with Creative software. And it WILL work correctly.

Also, DO NOT get the drivers from Windows Update (WU), it WILL "bork" up the settings you have set within the Creative software get the drivers and software from Creative DIRECTLY. YES, WU will "grump" when you got to do updates about geting the software via WU , unless of course you hide the update, but if you dont mind that little annoyance, sitck with the software and drivers directly from Creative. Even tho they may a bit "dated', its better to have those than let WU do the updates.

Just my experince with Creative cards.
~LoneWolf

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
So, can it be conclusively called electromagnetic interference?
If EMI, it would likely start from the beginning, not 10 minutes later - unless a device on the card was failing. And if EMI, send the device back.

Critical for EMI control is good grounds. Make sure the card and all connections are tight and securely fastened.

I would also check your wall outlet to make sure it is properly wired with a AC Outlet/Ground Fault Indicator Tester.

Finally, make sure all your computer components are connected to the same wall outlet - this ensures they are on the same ground.

Reaction score
I just put the card into another computer and it worked flawlessly. I guess there's a driver problem going on here, which really, really pisses me off. I've uninstalled them multiple times so I really don't know what to do to COMPLETELY start off fresh with Creative drivers.

Reaction score
Unistalling Creative drivers

Yonder~

Link direct from Creative on uninstalling drivers and software.

Edited to add: You also MIGHT want to go into device manager and Uninstall the card and drivers from there .. DON'T disable the card, just uninstall it .

I have used this method MANY times ... and have not had a problem with it ..

Also MAKE SURE before you uninstall you get all the necessary drivers and software from Creative DIRECTLY.. when Windows first boots it will TRY to install what it thinks are the best drivers...

Cancel out of ALL the windows that pop up .. and then go and install the drivers manually... they come is Self extracting Zip/executable files.

If you need any help feel free to post again here or send me a PM and I'll do the best I can to walk ya through the setup... been there done that quite a few times ;)

~LoneWolf

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Creative has had a LOT of driver issues with the Windows 7 OS.

That's probably why I haven't used their soundcards in a long time. Plus other reasons of my own.

Their ZEN X-FI 2 portable media player kicks butt, but their soundcards and drivers are lacking considerably.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I just put the card into another computer and it worked flawlessly. I guess there's a driver problem going on here, which really, really pisses me off. I've uninstalled them multiple times so I really don't know what to do to COMPLETELY start off fresh with Creative drivers.
I would not jump to the conclusion that it is a driver problem. I would still check all your electrical connections and tight and secure. And if me, since you have a second computer, I would swap power supplies and see if the card in the original computer makes the noise with a different PSU.

Reaction score
Yonder~

Link direct from Creative on uninstalling drivers and software.

Edited to add: You also MIGHT want to go into device manager and Uninstall the card and drivers from there .. DON'T disable the card, just uninstall it .

I have used this method MANY times ... and have not had a problem with it ..

Also MAKE SURE before you uninstall you get all the necessary drivers and software from Creative DIRECTLY.. when Windows first boots it will TRY to install what it thinks are the best drivers...

Cancel out of ALL the windows that pop up .. and then go and install the drivers manually... they come is Self extracting Zip/executable files.

If you need any help feel free to post again here or send me a PM and I'll do the best I can to walk ya through the setup... been there done that quite a few times ;)

~LoneWolf
I tried totally removing the Windows drivers but they keep installing themselves upon restart...I looked up how to disable this automatic feature but even the solution offered doesn't work for this...Anyway, don't the Creative drivers just update the generic Windows ones anyway? I think they need to be in place for the installation to truly work. If you have a method of completely clearing out these generic Windows drivers do tell...or cancelling them in their process of installation.

Reaction score
Update: Okay I just reinstalled the drivers and was met with a bleating sound that didn't stop until I restarted. I really don't know what to think now.

Ask a Question