SOLVED Unblocking contact in Messenger?

Reaction score
I seem to have unintentionally blocked a contact in Windows Live Messenger 2011.

The contact is not visible any more in the contact list in Messenger, so I tried to add the contact again. But then I get this reply (translated from Swedish): "You have recently added a contact who uses this address for instant messages. The adress of a contact for instant messages must be unique."

However, if I go to the contact list in Hotmail, the contact is there. But when I try to send a message, I get the following reply: "You cannot send a message to a blocked friend on Messenger."

I have not been able to find a way unblock this contact - in fact, blocking contacts should not be possible i Windows Live Messengar 2011.

I seem to be totally stuck here - what can I do??

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't use WLM anymore, but I think in Messenger you go into the Tools menu (you may need to hold down the Alt key to see the menus), then Options, then Privacy. There should be a block list consisting of users you've blocked, and you can move them to the allow list.

I can't verify this so if it doesn't work, maybe someone else can advise.

Reaction score
I don't use WLM anymore, but I think in Messenger you go into the Tools menu (you may need to hold down the Alt key to see the menus), then Options, then Privacy. There should be a block list consisting of users you've blocked, and you can move them to the allow list.

I can't verify this so if it doesn't work, maybe someone else can advise.
No, in WLM 2001 this is changed - there is not list of blocked contacts. The blocking feature is replaced by the option "Show me as offline for this person".
And I now realize that all contacts which I am shown as offline for indeed appear as blocked in the contact list in Hotmail.

But the question remains - why has this contact disppeared from my contact list in Messenger?

Reaction score
Have you tried THIS?
Yes, I did, and it did not work bevcause the contact was not visible in the contact list.

But the problem is now solved, maybe because I logged in from another computer, and then the contact became visible also on my normal computer.

Ask a Question