how to search email by contacts in windows live mail

Reaction score
Hi,

this should be easy...

how do I find all emails from one contact in windows 7 live mail?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hmm. never had a need but here goes. Try this fingers crossed!
Click the far left (blue) icon
On the far right of the top menu, click "Message rules"
select "new"
select "Where the From line contains people"
Type in the email address of the person from whom you wish to receive
Go back to the middle window, and select your choice of what you wish to do with the mail.
Go to the bottom and click the note "contains people
In the next lower window, select your choice.

Reaction score
I am using windows 7 - on my laptop,

not windows live hotmail on the web,

Reaction score
This is a statement..

when I click on the far left blue I don't see message rules -

till I click folders tabs (second tab) finally found it,

but the choices don't apply to my wish to to search for emails from a certain user?

what I am trying to do is

find all emails from one individual contact

and just have all the emails they ever sent to me display as I do if i was searching within the subject.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't use the product but you could simply sort by sender and then all their emails will be together. Admittedly all the others are still there but you just scroll down till you find that particular sender alphabetically.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Apologies.I missed inserting the "extra" click in the path. Tm's suggestion might be a good compromise. Only ammendment to it is that you would click , in "View", "Sort By" and then "From". But this would ,l as TM suggests, only categorise them.
However, I may be lost as to what you are trying to achieve. I have just experimented with my suggestion and it worked for me.
1. I selected, in the Nav pane, my account.
2. I right clicked this account and selected Ne folder. I called this, in my case "Copies"
3. In the previously mentioned Message rules, I selected "Where the "From Line contains people.
4. I then selected the bottom choice "contains...." In my test, I put, for example "Microsoft"
5.In the middle window "Copy to a specific folder"
6. At the bottom again I selected the chosen account and my new "Copies" folder.

Apply Rule, "Apply Now"

All the mail from Microsoft in this case, was copied to my new folder.

Reaction score
I have the same query. Although I have emails from regular contacts stored in their respective folders, I just archive the rest. Recently I had an email from someone, they were on my contacts list but we’d only exchanged a couple of messages and I couldn’t remember when. I wanted to refer back to them and expected to be able to click on the contact and be able to see all their messages.
In most forums, including this one, you can easily find all the postings made by a member and I think that is a pretty basic function. I thought I would be able to do the same for my emails but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Are you referring to Windows Live Mail or forums?
If Live Mail, to where did you archive them? It should be reasonably straightforward to go to that folder and arrange the mail in name- alphabetical order.

Reaction score
I'm referring to WLM, I used the forums thing as an example of how it works in other applications. For archives I have a storage folder for every year which contains whatever I want to keep that doesn't warrant a folder of its own. Yes I could I guess sort it alphabetically but I wasn't really looking for a workaround, I was suggesting that the functionality should be in place to be able to click on a contact and see all their messages.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could go to FIND - Message.on the top menu, and insert the name of your contact.

Ask a Question