Unable to rename raspppoe.sys

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The Microsoft Forum suggests that "Error 651: The Modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error" may be caused because you upgraded over Vista instead of doing a fresh install. One possible reason your LAN will not connect unless you reinstall the network card is because some services may have been brought over from Vista that are known to cause conflicts.

Reinstalling the old Vista raspppoe.sys is not a good idea.

So two more ideas to try...
1. A known cause of conflict is the "BONJOUR" service.

Type SERVICES.MSC on the start - search line and run it.
Locate BONJOUR and double-click on it.
Stop BONJOUR.
Set startup type to Disabled.
Reboot.

2. Another problem service is Shutdown mDNSResponder.exe. (If you did not have BONJOUR running then look for this service instead.)

Locate Shutdown mDNSResponder.exe and double-click on it. It may appear as "##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##".
Stop Shutdown mDNSResponder.exe.
Reboot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have the same hardware, the same drivers, nor did I upgrade from Vista so I have no way to try any of this myself. All I can do is give you ideas to try on your own.

Reaction score
The Microsoft Forum suggests that "Error 651: The Modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error" may be caused because you upgraded over Vista instead of doing a fresh install. One possible reason your LAN will not connect unless you reinstall the network card is because some services may have been brought over from Vista that are known to cause conflicts.

Reinstalling the old Vista raspppoe.sys is not a good idea.

So two more ideas to try...
1. A known cause of conflict is the "BONJOUR" service.

Locate BONJOUR and double-click on it.
Stop BONJOUR.
Reboot.

2. Another problem service is Shutdown mDNSResponder.exe. (If you did not have BONJOUR running then look for this service instead.)

Locate Shutdown mDNSResponder.exe and double-click on it. It may appear as "##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##".
Stop Shutdown mDNSResponder.exe.
Reboot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have the same hardware, the same drivers, nor did I upgrade from Vista so I have no way to try any of this myself. All I can do is give you ideas to try on your own.
Thks again to try to help !
I think that I have reached a result (but do not know what to attribute it to !)
1 - I have stopped "Bonjour" (but not uninstall it)
2 - I have found in "services.msn" 2 services which look interesting :
2.1 - "Automatic configuration of cabled network". It was on "stop". I put it on "automatic" and "on"
2.2 - "Discovery mapping of topology of liaison layers". Same, I put it on "automatic" and "on".
Sorry as I have a french OS, I have made the translations myself and they might not be the right ones.
3 - I have not found "Shut down DNS Responder", probably as it has another name in French. I only have found "DNScache", which is only services with "DNS" name in the console, but I doubt that it has something to do with it. I have not touched it either.
4 - Trying to update "WAN Miniport PPPoE", it still says "found a newer driver but does not install it as "the file name is not found"
5 - I have kept the Generic Yukon card with its old driver, which looks the best combinaison.

After rebooting, does show the local connection and even the card ! So I am going to leave it at that, unless there is something nem from MS with the updates (but usualy they do not say what is in them !)
Thank you again
Alain Dufour in Paris

Ask a Question