Unable to open Magnifier program

Reaction score
Just finished a new update... now I cannot open my magnifier. I REALLY need it as my eyesight is not so good any more, and Magnifier helps tremendously! I'm uploading a few snips of the warning windows that pop up when I try to open Magnifier.
Magnifier1a.JPG
Magnifier1b.JPG
Magnifier1c.JPG

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Best guess, the file was moved or deleted.

Run a search of C: for Magnify.exe.

If you or someone else didn't move or delete it then it is possible the hard drive is going bad and files are becoming corrupted. If the hard drive is going bad then it would need replaced and then your OS and all your programs would need reinstalled.

Reaction score
To trainableman: Thank you so much for trying to help me!! I did look for mangify.exe, but couldn't find it. I know I didn't move it, and no one else uses my computer. I think something happened to it during the last update. Do you know where I can get another magnify.exe? I do not have any discs for this computer.
Magnifier1d.JPG

Best guess, the file was moved or deleted.

Run a search of C: for Magnify.exe.

If you or someone else didn't move or delete it then it is possible the hard drive is going bad and files are becoming corrupted. If the hard drive is going bad then it would need replaced and then your OS and all your programs would need reinstalled.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The one highlighted in your picture is Magnify.exe, you simply have your windows file manager set to "hide the extensions of known file types", such as EXE so it shows as "Magnify ... Application".

Try running that and see if it gives you an error.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I did some more searching and it may be related to UAC (User Account Control) settings. Most likely a program you installed recently and that required elevated privileges has left something incorrect.

What you could do is see if you have any restore points (type restore point into the start-search box) and try "Restore system files and settings from a restore point" to restore prior to when the problem began.

Reaction score
I have NO idea why, but Magnifier has started working again! :)
I was of the opinion that your suggestion about installing something requiring higher privileges (or a newer something like a driver?) was preventing Magnifier from opening, since it quite working right after installing 13 Windows updates. I merely restarted my computer to install them, but today I shut down, and then re-started my computer... perhaps that's why Magnifier started working again? In any case, I thank you SO much for taking time to help me!! That was very kind of you!!:D
Now... if I could only get my weather gadgets to start working properly again, too! (They stopped showing the background images after an update installation, too! Now all I see are the city names and temp in pink
temp.12-01-11.jpg
temp.JPG
) :(
Computers: I LUV 'em... but they sure make me NUTZ!!o_O
Have a great weekend!!

Ask a Question