Unable to access E:(RAW)

Reaction score
My desktop has an E drive partition which cannot be opened, it says "You need to format the disk"
#While trying to format it "Windows was unable to format the disk"
#Disk Management shows "E: 167.88 Raw, Healthy (Primary partition), Trying to access it shows "You need to format the disk" cancelling it shows "E:\ not accessible, data error (cyclic redundency check)
#Tried error checking under properties\tools of E drive- windows cannot access the disk.
#Tried formating the E: as administrator in CMD formating complete till 100% and it shows error.

Any help to recover my E: will be highly appreciated

Reaction score
After entering disk management, right click on E and select DELETE. It should then say Unallocated. Next, establish a primary partition as NTFS and format. If that fails, I would backup all the data on the drive, delete all partitions, and start over. Also, since you got a "can't access disk" message, be sure your power & data connections are securely connected to the back of the drive. When you boot, make sure your BIOS can "see" the drive in question. Put your finger on the drive and see if it is warm and if there is any vibration. The newer SATA connectors are miserable as compared to the older and tight fitting Molex plugs and 40-pin EIDE ribbon cables. But as usual, everything has been cheapened up.

Last edited:

Ask a Question