SOLVED Unable to Access Admin Tools through Control Panel

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Getting to the Administrative Tools through the Control Panel is not my normal route.So when this I happened I don't know. But I clicked on the icon earlier today and got this warning message.

Now I've checked. There is an Administrative Tools folder at the address:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\
There's also my "personal" one at:
C:\Users\Elmer B. Fuddled\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

Shortcuts from the Start Menu and the Quick Launch all work OK.

So why is the Control Panel folder not opening?

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Administrative_Tools " Is that a typo, Elmer? There should be no underscore in that address

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
"Administrative_Tools " Is that a typo, Elmer? There should be underscore in that address
Yeah, it's a typo on here. Blame it on Winhelponline.com, I cut and pasted off the web page, too lazy to type! Amended.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try this Elmer

Right-click Start Orb>Customize>scroll down toSystem Adminidtrative tools>Select Display As A Link In Start Menu. Why waste time in the Contol Panel when you can either do it that way or type it into the Start Menu's search box. I just tpyed administrative in the search box. It's the only result at the top. Tools>
Getting to the Administrative Tools through the Control Panel is not my normal route.So when this I happened I don't know. But I clicked on the icon earlier today and got this warning message.

Now I've checked. There is an Administrative Tools folder at the address:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\
There's also my "personal" one at:
C:\Users\Elmer B. Fuddled\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

Shortcuts from the Start Menu and the Quick Launch all work OK.

So why is the Control Panel folder not opening?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Why waste time in the Contol Panel........
That's actually my fix. I've got all the Admin Tools I use regularly in a folder in Quick Launch. I solved it by hiding the Admin Tools in the Control Panel. Out of sight, out of mind. :)

More curiosity than anything as to why that path to the folder was broken.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek: And then Elmer finds out it's also a Typo on his Admin Tools folder as well. :eek: :eek: :eek:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you are still interested? Have you tried copy and paste of the folder, to the Control Panel, from the location you specified (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\)

Ask a Question