SOLVED Trouble Recovering Windows (can't boot!)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I deleted a Linux install a bit ago, and am having problems with rebooting. What I done, was after the deletion of the partitions, was used both my repair & install discs, to repair the bootloader (or whatever it's called). It won't reboot, and I can't run sfc /scannow, because it says that I need to reboot from the Startup Repair.

However, I can boot into the partition with a Paragon Boot Disc that I made with no problems. I figured once this took place, then it would restart fine. No such luck.

While the computer was on, I tried to run sfc /scannow by accessing "Run", all there was is a quick flash, that's it.

How can I repair what I have? I suppose that I could create a backup with Macrium, and replace the MBR w/a clean XP one (one of Macrium's options), then a repair install, but this is time consuming. If there's an easier way, my ears are open.

Cat

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe you have saved images (Acronis?) perhaps it would be quicker to boot up on the Acronis auto boot cd and reinstall an image.

I see from your post you are using Macrium. Did you make an autoboot and an image with that?
sfc /scannow will certainly not do the trick.
Basically, you have screwed you primary partition.
The longer way is to use (one I have iused before, when I fatally experimented with linux)
Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/)
I cannot remember all the steps I took with the program, but it worked.!! Maybe someone who has used it recently/frequently can talk you through it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I do have saved images of Acronis. But the most recent ones have Mint installed as a dual boot.

When I run the Startup Repair, it's trying to repair the data partition (G), rather than C. I've ran it several times to no avail.

Perhaps if I reinstall the system & "C" partition only, do a startup repair, if that works, then add the data partition back. that would work?

Weird, this also happened when I removed a partition that I created while a TechNet member to d/l my install discs to. When I copied that partition to an external drive, and tried to reclaim the space, the same thing happened. I had to install yet another version of Linux in that partition (100GB) for the system to boot. That partition, like my data one, were both logical partitions, not primary ones.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
niIn the Acronis menu, you have the option to restore the MBR only ??
Might do the trick, but maybe the saved MBR is the linux one!!!!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I finally got it fixed. What I had to do for the repair install to work, was to delete the data partition, since the repair process was continually trying to repair it. Prior to this, I backed up the entire system with Macrium.

Then, I was able to complete the startup repair with no problems. After that, I reinstalled the Data partition by using the Macrium recovery disc, but instead of leaving the current MBR in place, I chose to replace it with a fresh one. Everything works fine.

That was the important thing to me, was retaining my data, a total reinstall would have been easier, but I have a lot of work within that partition, that would have took over a week to rebuild.

In the past, I've never encountered this problem with Startup Repair, but then again, I never tried to repair one with a data partition installed.

From now on, I'll run Linux on either a separate HDD, or run it within a VM. It's a PITA trying to sort out the aftermath after the removal of these OS's.

Many thanks to you, davehc.

Cat

Reaction score
what u have to do is to delete all partions and make fresh partions and after that install ur operating system and i believe u will get solved this problem.;)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Read the posts. Catilley has solved the problem.

Ask a Question