Printer troubles

Reaction score
Hello together

a samsung laptop (RV511) running Windows 7 Home Premium is giving me a hard time with printing.
I have an heterogeneous network consisting of Windows 7 and Linux machines which share an USB printer via IPP /CUPS (and previously the network included Windows XP as well). Printing used to work from all machines until
1-2 months ago.
Then suddenly jobs would just disappear from the windows printer queue, without reaching the printer and without any error given by windows. After printing stopped working my first reaction was to check the firewall settings and even disable it temporarily, which did not help.
To remedy things I tried de-installing and reinstalling the not-working printer. This did nothing. The problem remained.
Then I went on to remove all printers and printer drivers except the Windows XPS driver. From this point on I am unable to install ANY printer, wether local or networked, all break-off installation with an error code of 0x0000007a . Note: this is NOT a BSOD error.
I have tried two FixIt application from Microsoft ( http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/error-0x0000007a/td-p/2625359 ) without success.

Any idea on how to proceed is welcome.

Best regards

George

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Currently my best guess regarding the driver problems is that your registry is messed up. I suggest you use the built-in system restore option (type system restore into the start-search box) and pick a restore point prior to your removal of the driver. If that doesn't get your drivers back your could try a system repair from a W7 installation disk and then physically connect the printer via USB at least until the driver installs.

I don't know anything about Linux or IPP/CUPS to help more than that but you could try going even further back with the restore points, to before the entire problem began, if your system has maintained enough. Maybe that would fix things.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Did you try the suggestions from Trainableman?

Some firewall software uses a local proxy. The only firewall software I trust is Windows Firewall.
What AV / Firewall software do you have installed?

Ask a Question