SOLVED Transferring back from 64bit to 32bit

Reaction score
This is my first post, so please be gentle with me ;)
Just over 3 months ago I purchased a new Compaq computer (Intel 2 Core Quad CPU, Q8200 @ 2.33 Gz. 4Gb RAM). The sales blurb, I remember, referred to it running 64bit software. The computer was loaded with Vista Home Premium, but came with a free (??) upgrade to Windows 7.
I bought a 500Gb external hard drive, so that I could back up all my data, from my old computer, to transfer to the new computer. I did a backup, but also did a simple copy of all my folders and files. After following all the set-up procedure, I set up the new computer under Vista. Then using Easy transfer, I copied all my folders and files to the new computer. That was possibly a mistake, because I had problems with duplicated folders and User Accounts. I am able to locate all my files, but I just seem to have so many that I am not sure whether I need them or not. They were certainly not set up knowingly by me, and so were automatically installed with the software.
When the Windows 7 disc arrived, I automatically assumed I would need the 64bit version, and that is what I installed. I now appear to have lots of conflicts with many of my established programs.
I am not a gamer, nor do I use the computer for high end graphics or other high end programs. My main use is for personal accounting, home office needs, photo processing and greeting card card production. Nothing too demanding.
My questions are
1) should I have installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7?
2) having now installed the 64 bit, can I, and should I, change to 32 bit?
3) is it possible to have both 64 and 32 bit Windows 7 installed?

I apologise for my total lack of technology nouse!

Reaction score
Then using Easy transfer, I copied all my folders and files to the new computer. That was possibly a mistake, because I had problems with duplicated folders and User Accounts.
This confusion you have is exactly why I have chosen to keep my personal data separate from the OS.

Questions
  1. Judging by question number two, you did install the 64 bit version and this question is asking if you should have installed the 32-bit version. If you have older hardware that currently only has 32-bit drivers, you may prefer to install the 32-bit version. However Windows 7 Professional and greater has what is called XP Mode which allows for XP 32-Bit compatibility. If you are wanting to use more than 4GB memory the 64-Bit path is the only way.
  2. If you change bit versions a clean install is required (In other words not the upgrade path).
  3. Yes it is possible, but you will need a separate license for each install.

Reaction score
Thanks Clifford. Yes, I did install the 64bit Windows 7, because I was told that my new computer was running on 64bit. I don't have a problem with hardware, as everything seems to be working fine, but I do have problems with various programs not being compatible.

Reaction score
Have you tried using Application Compatibility Mode?
This can help in many cases where installing normally will fail.

One other thing is that old applications don't know how to work with the UAC settings in Windows 7. You may need to disable UAC(User Account Control) while installing your software. And then choose to enable UAC afterward

Ohh and I forgot to Welcome you to our forum. :)

Reaction score
Thankyou for both the advice and welcome. I did not know that W7 has a compatibility mode. Indeed I tried searching for compatability in Help and Support, but got no hits. I will try that. I have given away most of my software that would not work with W7, and everything I have now works .. to a point. However, I keep getting hang-ups, or error messages, usually when I have been working on a project for some time - still have that terrible old habit of not saving often enough! Again thankyou.

Reaction score
I have to say, this is a perfect example of why I always suggest doing a clean install over doing an "Upgrade" install.

Granted, doing a clean install would not have solved all of your problems, but some of them probably would have been solved by doing it.

If you're up for it and want to mention exactly which folders you have backed up, and are trying to copy over to Windows 7 we may be able to help you find where they go so you have less conflicts.

For the most part, I personally use either the Desktop or My Documents for everything I will eventually need backed up. You may want to try to get into the habit of keeping all of your important things (pictures, documents, etc) in one place so it's easier to back up.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Cookie, Welcome to the forum! Having 4GB RAM, you made the right decision to go 64 bit, as 32 bit can utilize only 3GB of it. That doesn't sound like much, but every GB of RAM counts. Too, should you want to upgrade to the next release of Windows, it's highly unlikely that a 32 bit will be offered. I've had mine since November, it has only 2GB, but it outperforms 2GB 32 bit. I'm planning to upgrade to 4GB soon. And too, unless you're a heavy gamer and/or run a lot of RAM hog programs, 4GB is a perfect balance. Not too little, not too much. There are some that swears that the more RAM under the hood, the better. That's not true at all, unless you have a server. I hope that you enjoy Windows 7 and should you need help, we're here.

Reaction score
Hi Tornado Rex and catilley 1092, and thanks for the suggestions. What you say, catilley 1092, makes sense - I purposely bought the most I could get for my money, and the idea of more RAM, and a higher bit rating seemed a good buy. I don't want to go backwards, but I didn't fully understand the implications of running different rated programs. I'm getting the idea (a bit) now, and the use of ACM might prove to be the answer.
Would love to take you up on your suggestion Tornado Rex. Currently insufficient time to do anything, as off in the morning until Friday night. I will list out all the folders that I have, when I get home. Many thanks.

Reaction score
:)I switched to 64 bit, but still not able to use one of my programs. The compatibilty mode does not always work. Good luck♥♥♥
Thanks Clifford. Yes, I did install the 64bit Windows 7, because I was told that my new computer was running on 64bit. I don't have a problem with hardware, as everything seems to be working fine, but I do have problems with various programs not being compatible.

Reaction score
Thanx BevDaBronxbabe. I have only just started to set up the Compatibility mode, so not able to comment just yet. Also away for a few days now, so not even able to try it out. Hope you manage to get yours sorted out though.

Reaction score
I Think Though your not a gamer that you should use and keep Windows 7 64 Bit. From how old you computer is it will have 95% chance of having 64 bit processor. and this is what 64 BIT versions of windows need. My other thing is 32 BIT can use up 3 GB ram where as 64 BIT can use over 3GB which will last you for years.

Reaction score
Thank you Coco. I think I am now convinced that I should retain the 64 bit. I was hoping that it would be simple task to sort out the problems with my computer, but now realise I need professional help. The computer is less than 4 months old, and so is under warranty. Not keen on PC World, but that is where I will have to take it. I am certain the problem is linked with my transfer of files, and the upgrade to W7, but we will see. Thanks for all your imputs.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm not too keen on PC World either, although I'm a forum member, and receive tons of emails from them. Some is useful, some is old stuff and some is just plain old common since. But you should keep the 64 bit OS, because it's the future for Microsoft. There will be no more 32 bit releases, period. Should you step down to 32 bit Windows 7, most likely the OS will live as long as the computer does, but it wouldn't hurt to retain 64 bit OS. Should you need help, there's plenty of it here, just post it. Welcome to the forums, Cookie!

Reaction score
Many thanks for comment catilley1092, and for the welcome. Obviously I must use the warranty facility, but I can see myself making use of this forum in the future - so many willing and helpful posters. Maybe one day I may be able to offer some help to others, instead of just taking it!

Ask a Question