My Documents: Has moved to Desktop after transferring Libraries to a differnt Drive

Reaction score
I moved my 4 Library folders over to another drive and it would appear that some or all of "My Documents" has managed to bleed itself into my Desktop. I was looking at my Desktop for something and I noticed that some of the "My Documents" folder is in this Desktop and I don't have a clue how it got there.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it a copy or are they only on the desktop and not in Libraries\My Documents?

If they only exist on the desktop then drag them from the desktop to My Documents and be sure to hold the shift key while you release them into My Documents (shift key makes sure it is a move, not a copy)

Reaction score
They were copies of FOLDERS that I had made myself. To clarify: if I had more than one copy of a document instead of putting them all over by themselves in Documents I would make a folder with a name for said documents and move the 1 folder over. Well, those were the only ones that were moved to the desktop. None of the documents that had logos or Headers moved. PDF's all moved too. I didn't want to start a new thread on this but we had solved the last one so I didn't know how to contact you to ask this one thing. Anyway, I have a "Move to Folder" in my context menu so I just highlighted all the duplicates in desktop and clicked Move to Folder/My Documents and overwrote the ones that were already there. Still don't know why they did that but I'll keep an eye on it. By the way I see all of the Folders from the Library that I moved have locks on them (Protected or System) except for the My Documents. Is that not protected like the others?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you close Windows Explorer and then reopen it and then show us a printscreen of the locked folders vs My Documents?

Reaction score
Here they are Train.What is the reason for this. I thought it was because I had show hidden files checked, but I un-checked it and the locks are still on the folders.My Music under Properties/Security it shows as a System file, whereas my documents doesn't have a lock on it so I went to Properties/Security and it says "Authenticated User.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is that as viewed from D:\Aug 06\ ?

Normally I see that under C:\USERS\julio99\ but I didn't expect it to carry over to D:\Aug 06\. Under C:\USERS\julio99\ it actually prevents YOU (or anyone else) from accessing that folder directly, thereby forcing YOU to use the Libraries to access them and hiding them from other users who may use the same computer.

So can you expand the ones that are locked? If I had to guess I would suspect you cannot access Music, Pictures, and Videos except via Libraries and other users could see the high-level folder name but access would be limited. Documents seems to be wide open; like maybe it was just copied not moved ?

Reaction score
It's not Aug. 6 anymore my friend. It's just plain old D:/My Music now, same for Pictures and Videos and Documents, but My Documents has authenticated Users under properties/security whereas the other 3 have Properties/Security/System instead of Authenticated Users. I took the locks off the folders by adding users to the list of names under the Properties/Security/Groups or User names:.Basically I just changed Permissions I am led to understand.The unknown account you see in the #2 screen I removed under edit. It was more than likely created when I was doing the original changes and then moving them back. That's all I can think of anyway.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Does anyone use your computer besides yourself? Because if it is just you then it's not that big a deal but otherwise, if you have "users" in the Permissions than pretty much everyone with an account on your PC can access your folder.

Reaction score
I was aware of that and yes it is just me Train on this laptop. I don't share my Toys. Lol!!:)

Ask a Question