Please help! Transferring data from external HDD to new PC

Reaction score
Hello all,

I created my account for the sole purpose of getting this problem fixed. I used to have a macbook, and have a back up of all of my data on an external HDD. That computer has since been stolen, but I still have my external HDD. Rather than buy a new macbook I just built a P.C. which is running Windows 7 64-bit.
When I plug this external HDD into my PC it recognizes it (it checks for driver updates, I can look at it in disk management) but I cannot access the files or write new files to it as it does not appear in "My Computer".
Enough backstory, here is what I have done so far:
1) opened disk manangement, found the external HDD (or what I think is the external HDD, it has 931 free GB and is not listed as C:)
1a) attempted to assign it a letter, but this option is greyed out.
2) opened diskpart.exe
2a) DISKPART>list volume (external HDD does not appear)
2b) DISKPART> list disk (my C: and my external HDD appear)
2c) DISKPART>select disk 1 (by using disk management I have determined disk 0 is
my C: and disk 1 is my external HDD)
2d) DISKPART>assign letter=G (Response: "There is no volume specified. Please select a volume and try again."
3) Slammed my fists on the desk and yelled at my computer monitor

Needless to say, nothing I have tried has worked. Please help me. Am I going to have to reformat my external HDD? Will that cause me to lose all my important data? is my external HDD corrupt or faulty? (it has worked fully in two macbooks, I have had it less than one year and have hardly ever used it or moved it).

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!

Reaction score
Mac OS X has a different file system then 7. I have transferred files from a mac to pc before without issue, perhaps your drive is maybe a combination of corrupt and faulty.
:(

Reaction score
you could crack the drive open and put in in a hard drive dock and that may work

Ask a Question