Toshiba M65-S9093 Buttons lost after 7 Upgrade

Reaction score
Hello...my "shortcut buttons" on my Toshiba Laptop S9093 (the ones that bring up the browser, the media player, and the CD controls) do not work after doing a full version of Windows 7 Professional- in fact, they do not even show up in the Device Manager as a yellow exclamation point.

Toshiba only allows the laptops made before a certain time to be updated- otherwise they force you to buy a new laptop.

I have downloaded their updater and it says "bios don't match" and I will never buy a Toshiba again.

Windows 7 runs better than my original XP.

Any help out there for a generic driver? I know my motherboard is an EBQ10....it has an Intel Chipset...please help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not finding the Toshiba M65-S993 any where. Are you sure that is the model number on your notebook?

Reaction score
Lost media buttons Toshiba S9093 laptop after win7 install

Hello...my "shortcut buttons" on my Toshiba Laptop S9093 (the ones that bring up the browser, the media player, and the CD controls) do not work after doing a full version of Windows 7 Professional- in fact, they do not even show up in the Device Manager as a yellow exclamation point.

Toshiba only allows the laptops made before a certain time to be updated- otherwise they force you to buy a new laptop.

I have downloaded their updater and it says "bios don't match" and I will never buy a Toshiba again.

Windows 7 runs better than my original XP.

Any help out there for a generic driver? I know my motherboard is an EBQ10....it has an Intel Chipset...please help!
forgive me
...Toshiba S9093

Reaction score
Bad News :(

The Toshiba Satellite M65-S9093 was supported for five years before Windows 7 was released for sale. You can't hold Toshiba responsible and ask them to support an aging computer indefinitely. I didn't even see Vista support for the machine.

I wish you would have asked before upgrading. I would have advised against upgrading because of one simple fact. The Mobile Intel 915GM Express Chipset will not support Windows Aero and without it, I personally think Windows 7 looks worse than Windows 95. At least in Windows 95 the frames and borders were thinner.

Reaction score
This is fine and dandy for Toshiba...but most folks do not have the money to give to toshiba all the time. I was able to get a video driver and I do not get aero...but I do geta new quicker operating system that can run explorer 9 and my education can continue. If I stYed with xp I would stagnate. I know that there is a zolution as others have the same issue. As far as toshibsa is concerned, they do have an update programbut they wont let us use it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your quick launch buttons require a program to make them function. That program would have been on your XP installation and it may even work under W7.

When you did the install did you erase the HD or did you install over top XP. If you erased then your only hope is to get it from Toshiba or find someone with your machine that can share it. On the other hand, if you installed over XP then the program may be somewhere in the windows.old directory. I cannot remember if program files are also copied to that folder or not but that is where you may find it.

Reaction score
Hi, Trainable...(like your choo choo image) I have tried both approaches- both full and upgrade- and I still lost 'em on both attempts. During the "upgrade" install- the instalation disc warned me that the program that the buttons are afilitated with "toshiba tools" as well as a line of others, would not be compatable.
My angle is another approach- the same one that another poster did (he downloaded a HP driver made by Intel) that we were able to get the blasted 910/915 Open GL by Intel driver to work in 7- but still, no eye candy Aero.
I am sure that there is another manufacturer that will provide support for these buttons. As far as Aero- I have heard that if you install Virtual Machine it loads an S3 driver that works with the Aero- as the instalation program itself will even get a wiff of the 910/915 it won't even LOAD- AND if it does only half of the driver will be visible in device manager. It's really a shame- 7 runs smoothly and nicely on my laptop- I am shocked I cannot even get Vista Glazz to run even though both icons in the program are colored and give me no errors.

Hey, thanks for your help...hope some other surfers check this out!!

COWABUNGA!:D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I replied in another thread that you should check out THIS THREAD about force enabling Aero but that is off the subject of your thread here.

Reaction score
BoyHowdy!
Nope- when I tried the original Toshiba Disc with the original XP drivers- I get the looping blue screen of death, along with the three bones I spent on Windows 7.

I even called Toshiba and they waived the technitian fee- and the techie argued with me in regards to the program- then he had me download two different programs- one, the TVAP that I had informed him I already tried and failed- then he took me to a TINY URL site that had simply the executional- and again- no luck.

Again- am hoping the driver from another manufacturer will work with the machine- I am sure Intel or MSI or some other company made a universal driver- even microsoft might have a keyboard driver that would work.

It's a sham that Toshiba dumped us all in the dirt- it's easy to spend $500.00 dollars and sleaze it off- but some of us are not even working right now...yes, times are changin' but something this small of an issue should not be such a problem and Toshiba makes this excuse that "It was only made for XP" when in fact, they simply dumped this model after listing it for a cool $2200.00.

Thanks Toshiba- your're the best, as always...:mad:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Well, regardless of my or your personal feelings on the matter, it is how the laptop industry works. Dell, Toshiba, all of them will support the laptop for any OS they ship on it, but they are not expected to support operating systems that are created after the laptop models have been discontinued.

You will probably need to install this in application compatibility mode, but this appears to be the XP driver for the control buttons: http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/sm65btcontrolsx.exe It will require some experimenting first, but it should be able to work under Windows 7.

Reaction score
Well, regardless of my or your personal feelings on the matter, it is how the laptop industry works. Dell, Toshiba, all of them will support the laptop for any OS they ship on it, but they are not expected to support operating systems that are created after the laptop models have been discontinued.

You will probably need to install this in application compatibility mode, but this appears to be the XP driver for the control buttons: http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/sm65btcontrolsx.exe It will require some experimenting first, but it should be able to work under Windows 7.
Hi, Cougar...name kinda reminds me of the old "Top Gun" movie...well, I tried to install the file- and to my shock it was the one that I had tried that came on the recovery CD that was shipped with the machine.

However, it was too late...I did not listen to you regarding "compatablity mode" and I got a nice, looping "blue screen of death" which is why I think Toshiba- and not only Toshiba- but Microsoft themselves- should have an answer for this issue with the media buttons.

After some research- I noticed that all kinds of laptops had this issue- not only toshiba but Dell, HP...you name it.

As of this writing- I think it would be safe to say- especially- that Windows 7 is not for this laptop, and that money will have to be spent on a new one.

It is what it is...I was fortunate that I had put the 7 on another hard disk, and when it crashed, well- I'll just reformat the drive and try another install- I have not registered the 7 and as long as I keep doing that, I should be okay to BETA my OEM copy until the cows come home.

I have also heard that as far as AERO is concered it can run on virtual machine- as it uses the old S3 chip that somehow is compatable with the AERO...find that hard to believe, but I can remember them on the old Diamond cards.

Oh, well, thanks for your insight, Cougar.

Ask a Question