Time for a new hard drive

Reaction score
I have a 2 yr old Hitachi 320 GB HHDD (model # HDT21032SLA360) - which was the hard drive for my computer.

I have this last week I installed a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD as my new and now HDD.

I am considering using the Hitachi (reformat first) and insert back into my tower but as the back up for my photos.

I understand HDD's don't last for ever, should I still use it OR buy a new HDD ?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Go ahead and use the Hitachi, it will last you for several more years at least.

Most hard drives have a 50,000 hours MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure). It's just a guideline but that should be good for you and your purposes.

Use the HD Tune application, in the free trial version you can still check for total time the drive is on, and other handy info.

Reaction score
Thx -
and would that be version 2.55 (for the HD Tune)?
its from 2008.
If I download the Trial version - could I use all its features or are some locked. I can't tell from the website.

thx

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. Try this one in trial, a few features are locked out but not the ones I mentioned.

[SIZE=-1]HD Tune Pro[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] v4.60[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]28 August 2010[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] hdtunepro_460_trial.exe[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] 1408 KB[/SIZE]

Ask a Question