SOLVED Can I install hard drive in this computer.

Reaction score
I have a Dell OptiPlex 780, Windows 7. 500 g HD. I am looking at a Dell OptiPlex 790 usff. It has had the HD removed and destroyed because it was a Govt. computer and COA sticker removed. (they recycle govt computers) What kind of problems would I run into in removing the HD from the 780 and installing it in the 790?.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Installing a hard drive is quite easy but I'm guessing you aren't really asking about issues with physically putting it in the new case.

More likely you are referring to the W7 license. Unless you have the W7 FULL version you cannot legally move the W7 to a new computer so W7 could detect the new hardware and eventually say your copy of W7 is not legal. Most people have an OEM version or an upgrade version installed over an older Windows OEM license; in both of these situations the license lives & dies with the motherboard of the computer on which the license was first installed.

Ask a Question