Thumbnail issue after opening Pictures folder

Reaction score
If I open the Pictures folder, I do not see thumbnails (though they appear normally in other folders). After opening/closing the Pictures folder, if I create/download/copy a new picture (.jpg, .png and .gif observed), its thumbnail does not appear, even if it is located in a different folder on a different hard drive. I see only a generic icon, or no icon at all, and the folder continues to indicate that it is in the middle of a refresh for at least fifteen minutes (stopped it at that point). However, pictures which already have a thumbnail generated continue to display as normal. And if I reboot, the new pictures show normal thumbnails (so long as they are not in the Pictures folder itself.) I do not need to interact with a file in Pictures to activate the issue -- just opening the folder is enough. I first noticed the issue several days ago, but not immediately after any software changes or updates.

I'm running Windows 7 home premium, updates current. I have run Chkdisk on the C drive, also a full scan with Norton 360. I've tried turning "Always show icons, never thumbnails" off then on again in Folder options. I have not yet reset the thumbnails cache, because I'm afraid that will expand the problem rather than cure it. (Will do so if it is recommended.)

Any insight is much appreciated! (Avoiding the Pictures folder is not an option, because it is the default for many "save" operations.)

Reaction score
Marg1780,
1. " I've tried turning "Always show icons, never thumbnails" off then on again"...........
You had it wrong. It should be OFF if you want to see thumbnails instead of icons.

2. If you have no luck with Rebuild Thumbnail Cache..........
Since this issue happened several days ago only, you might be able to solve it by doing a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
https://www.w7forums.com/threads/system-restore.1328/

Ask a Question