SOLVED Cannot get thumbnails for some video files.

Reaction score
Running Windows 7 Pro X64.
Some *.avi files show thumbnails but others show an icon.
Folder view options the same for all sub-folders in the main video folder.
"Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked.
Switching that setting causes a change in some folders but not in others.
Not a train smash, just annoying.
Would welcome any tips.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And these are all .AVI files? The reason I ask is because I see an image for .WMV files but all my .FLGs, .MPGs, .AVIs are an icon.

.AVIs are just encasing other file types, basically a way to store a sound file and a video file together in one shell; so I would suspect that if you have an .AVI that actually shows an image instead of an icon it is because whatever video format is stored in the .AVI shell is one Windows Explorer can decode.

Unfortunately that isn't a solution to your issue, just a possible explanation. I do not know how you can add the functionality so all .AVIs show an image.

Reaction score
And these are all .AVI files? The reason I ask is because I see an image for .WMV files but all my .FLGs, .MPGs, .AVIs are an icon.

.AVIs are just encasing other file types, basically a way to store a sound file and a video file together in one shell; so I would suspect that if you have an .AVI that actually shows an image instead of an icon it is because whatever video format is stored in the .AVI shell is one Windows Explorer can decode.

Unfortunately that isn't a solution to your issue, just a possible explanation. I do not know how you can add the functionality so all .AVIs show an image.
They are all AVIs.

Someone on the other W7 forum (http://www.sevenforums.com) suggested installing Shark007 Free Codecs http://shark007.net/index.html

That fixed it.

:)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Glad you found something that worked for you.

Ask a Question