The Windows Team Blog just posted this.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Cheers, for that.

I hope Windows 8 RT (ARM processor) will be out soon. That way I can get a pad and get rid of Android.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Apparrently they're going back to how the version's were pre-Vista,except with the added Arm/tablet version. The one's like us will get Pro, as it'll be needed for any true tweaking as it's the only version that give's us access to Group Policy.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of the days when there was support for other processor chips (MIPS & Alpha) in Win NT 3.51. Seems to have gone full circle.

There were way too many different version around in Win 7. Just confuses everyone.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Starter and Home were bad news, with their limitations, for both the user and MS. I guess that may be why they have dropped them. Back to four distinct purpose models now.

Reaction score
Unless you have a touch-screen, I haven't seen enough to warrant a upgrade to Windows 8. No updated versions of Media Pleyer or Media Center. DirectX only truly get's a service pack update and goes from dx11 to dx11.1 ala Vista RTM dx10 to Vista SP1 dx10.1. For a regular non-touch-screen user their truly aren't enough improvements over Windows 7, especially if your pc has a ssd. A 1-2 startup improvement won't truly be noticed by many. The restore feature is cool, but if you already do system image backups, there isn't a improvement to be had. Then there's the fact that alot of the features are super hidden to the point most user's will never find them. For example Windows Media Center is in the Consumer Preview, yet it's only show's up if you do a search for Windows Media or even Windows Media Player. If you open up C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) it's not listed, like Windows Media Player is. You add all this up and begin to realize that Microsoft has put alot of extra unnecessary steps in 8, which actually slow's down productivity for most user's, instead of improving it. Maybe Release Candidate will change a few thing's, but more than likely won't improve all the one's that matter to most people.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Just had a thought, lol. How the heck did this thread get into the Windows 7 forums.

Reaction score
Now that it's been posted that Microsoft is making the same version of Windows Media Center in Windows 7, a paid addon in Windows 8 Pro. I just don't see enough to waste money on. Truly stupid on Microsoft's part, especially considering,that the media features haven't even been updated or improved on.

Reaction score
I have to admit, I wonder if I should just forget about Media Center and just simply use Corel WinDVD, which I just bought. I like Media Center, but I'm not crazy about having to spend extra to go with Windows 8 Pro, especially since I'm not sure I need the advanced features it has that regular Windows 8 doesn't.

Reaction score
If you don't have a touch capable pc/notebook/monitor. Windows 8 truly isn't a necessary upgrade. Sure you get a new Task Manager, the Ribbin in Windows Explorer, Check Disk (that doesn't let you know if it's actually checking the whole drive or not) and the return to o.s./factory restore ( where you have to re-install everything). The last one is unneeded if you do System Image backup's. Then add in the fact that none of the so-called trick's for getting into Safe Mode for troubleshooting, malware scan's don't work. Not enough improvement's for a notebook or desktop pc user to ditch Windows 7 for. For a non-touch pc Windows 8 pretty much, puts a halt to any productivity. Metro can only have 2 app's on screen at a time.
I have to admit, I wonder if I should just forget about Media Center and just simply use Corel WinDVD, which I just bought. I like Media Center, but I'm not crazy about having to spend extra to go with Windows 8 Pro, especially since I'm not sure I need the advanced features it has that regular Windows 8 doesn't.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I certainly have my doubts. But the various little improvements seem appealing to me, and I like the new Start Screen, the live tiles, and the idea of an app store. I'm just hoping that I can live with the changes and perhaps come to terms with some of the features that are now reached in a more indirect way, such as how Safe Mode seems a little bit more buried.

Reaction score
Well, it's like I said. If you have a notebook or desktop pc, it's not exactly a must have upgrade. Then certain feature's weren't upgraded at all and both were actually downgraded. Windows Media Player is still Windows Media Player 12, except without dvd playback. Windows Media Center is the same version as in Windows 7. DirectX only goes from DirectX 11 in Windows 7 to DirectX 11.1 in Windows 8. First version of Windows since Windows 95 with no multimedia updates.

Reaction score
I like the last feature,The factory restore because i am tired of reinstalling Windows 7

Reaction score
The factory restore feature is unnecessary, if you do system images. From experience trying it in Windows 8 Release Preview , A: It didn't work and B: It was much slower than even Windows 7's System Image restore. Plus 8's feature take's it back to original install state, unless you know how to hack it and make your own. That's the part that in actuality makes it worthless.

Reaction score
So that means i have to use windows 7 till Microsoft releases Windows 9 or something like that

Reaction score
The more I hear, see, and read about W8, the less I like it.
I have a W7 desktop and I can't imagine giving it up for W8 from what I know of it so far.
I may hang on to W7 like some people have held on to XP!
I'm actually thinking about buying a new W7 computer while I still can! :D

Reaction score
Buy a PC without any OS or Linux and install your own Windows 7
Toshiba has laptops without any OS(i have seen it on news paper ads)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Two chestnuts! lol.

They both date back. The first produces a string of text umpteen times, to test fonts (The quick brown fox..etc)

The second is a reserved hangover from DOS days There are several others which cannot be used. CON is the console, as far as I can remember. You can make a directory, however, using a Command prompt

CON1.png

Ask a Question