That RAM question... again

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Sorry to post something which I know is discussed a fair bit, but I have yet to find an answer to the problem I have.

I have a Sony VAIO FW31M, which I upgraded to Windows 7, 32 bit version. I understand that Win 7 32bit will recognise and use up to 4GB of RAM, where Vista would only recognise 3GB.

Problem is that my laptop is still only recognising 2.97GB of RAM, and I cannot see how to get it to see and use all of the RAM. I don't think the 1.03GB of 'missing' RAM is being used by any other hardware, the graphics card has it's own memory etc.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out here. I run some demanding programmes on my laptop, and I think the extra 1GB would come in very useful!

Thank you in advance for your help!

:D

Reaction score
The amount of memory that can be seen on a 32-bit install of Windows hovers between 2.8 and 3.2GB, depending on the motherboard and other hardware. There's nothing that can be done, and this limit cannot be exceeded without moving to x64.

Reaction score
The memory limitation they're referring to is the theoretical maximum permitted by the number of addresses available to the OS. PC memory, your video card's memory and all the devices in your system are accessible to Windows and your motherboard by an address written out in hexadecimal. These addresses are known as MMIO addresses, and there are a limited number of them. Devices in your system dictate the number of addresses that get reserved, and Windows assigns the rest to RAM.

In a perfect world, Windows 32-bit could have every MMIO address for RAM, and you would get 4GB. However, if 2.8GB worth of addresses is all your PC has given to Windows for RAM, that's all you get.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
scottiecb19, welcome to the fourms! You stated that you upgraded to 32 bit Windows 7. First, the specs look good, I checked it out on Amazon. Will this laptop run 64 bit Windows? If so, where there two discs (one 32 & one 64 bit) in the package you ordered? And what version of Windows 7 do you have, Home Premium or Professional? If this laptop is capable of running 64 bit, there may be hope for you.

Reaction score
Hey,

I ordered the version of Windows over the internet and downloaded it, so no discs I'm afriad. It's so annoying to know that I have a computer with good specs, but cannot use its full potential.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
The only way to use your PCs full potential would be to install a 64-bit OS ... BTW nice laptop :).

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for your comments! :D

I think I know the (obvious) answer to my question, but is there anyway of making my version of Windows a 64bit version without spending more money?

Would a 64 bit version even work with my laptop, as I'm sure I have an x86 processor, and I downloaded the 'Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor' from Microsoft, which told me I could get Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional (I went for the Home Premium), but both were the 32bit versions.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You said you "think" you have an x86 CPU. If you're using less than the 4GB of RAM then you must have an x64 CPU and motherboard.

Go here to download the x64 bit version of either Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional.

32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x86 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65732.iso

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x64 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso

32-bit Windows 7 Professional x86 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65804.iso

64-bit Windows 7 Professional x64 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65805.iso

Download the ISO image and burn to a DVD blank disc with ImgBurn. It's a free app and works quite well with buring ISO to discs.

If it were me, I would download both the 32 bit also, since you don't have it on disc.

The product key you were given will work with both versions, just be sure you only have one version installed at a time. You can't have both versions installed and running on the same product key.

Reaction score
Hey,

I was under the impression that my system was an x86 one. Can anyone tell from any details they find about my laptop online, model again is a VAIO VGN-FW31M.

Also, what are the links that you've put in your reply? Are they legit stuff, as I don't want to put anything pirated on my computer, or if they are legitimate, I don't want to spend money on updates.

Thanks for your reply though! :)

Reaction score
Ok, a quick add-on to my last post, I think I can see that the links you gave me are for the genuine programme, but are you allowed to use the product key installing a different windows type?? I.e. is it legal?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Which version do you have? Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate??

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Are they legit stuff, as I don't want to put anything pirated on my computer, or if they are legitimate, I don't want to spend money on updates.
These are direct download links for the Official RTM Windows 7! These are from Digital River which M$ uses for it's ISO downloads.

They will update just fine, no issues! These are legitimate links, not pirate links. Don't worry, several members here have used them with no issues at all, including me.

This is where I got my second copy of Professional because an idiot former roommate of mine took the original copy, lent it to a friend (without my knowledge), friend's 2 year old boy thought it was a Frisbee and destroyed it!

Reaction score
ScottieCB:

The processor in your machine is 64-bit, meaning your PC can accept a 64-bit install of Windows 7. Remember that 64-bit is an *extension* of the x86 instruction set of your CPU, like adding a trailer to a semi.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
These discs from Digital River are legit discs. They supply a lot of Microsoft's downloads for them. So you have Home Premium. Then the 64 bit ISO is for you. The key works with both the 32 & 64 bit versions. That doesn't matter. What does matter is that you download the same version (Home Premium) that you have. Then, you can access your 4GB RAM. As recently as that laptop was built, and with the specs, if it weren't 64 bit capable, it would surprise me.

Reaction score
Wow, wow, and yet more wow for the replies - thanks a lot guys!!!!!!

Ok, I'm in the process of downloading the 64bit version, so wish me luck guys!

See you on the other side!

.... I was trying to build up the tension there of will it / won't it work, reading it back, even I'm not convinced! :D

Reaction score
Ok, so, I tried to restart my computer with the 'iso burned' disc in, and after following a number of prompts, it said to restart my system and run the disc once windows had booted.

So I did this, but when attempting to run the setup app, it said The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running..."

Double clicking on the cd tab shows, "This installation disc isn't compatible with your version for windows..."

Where do I go from here???

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What you do is put the disc in, then reboot, as soon as you reboot, be holding down the key that boots your disc. When it starts, you should see a black screen, and it will say at the bottom, "Windows is loading files". You did burn the 64 bit version of Home Premium, didn't you? And when you reach the point where you have two choices, the top one is Upgrade, the bottom is Custom Install. You want to select Custom Install. Then, on the next page or so, you want to format the drive, not the 100MB one, but the much larger one. Then it will ask you how much space you want, select all of it, if you want. The response you made above, it doesn't sound like you properly attempted to install Windows. This is NOT an upgrade, it's a "custom install". Go back and try again.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Be sure your DVD drive is set as the first boot device in the system BIOS and boot with the disc in the drive. You'll see a prompt: Press any key to boot from CD/DVD drive..

Click the link below to read more about it.

How To Install Windows 7

Reaction score
Oh I see...

I didn't choose custom install because I didn't want to format my hdd. I'm concerned if I format it all I won't get all of the Sony Programmes back on it.

I'm also concerned that both attempts at putting the 64bit version on it resulted in the laptop saying that the software was not compatible with my system.

I'll back up the contents of my hdd in any case and see what you guys think.

Ask a Question