Restoring program files SIMPLE question

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm this for me, please:

If I 'restore' a partition containing program files from an ext. USB HDD to a NEW int. HDD, the programs would not work, would they (because there would be no entries in the registry/start menu etc)? I will be using Acronis to restore.

I had to re-install Windows 7 and I used a brand new int. HDD, because apparently the old HDD had developed a fault, and wouldn't boot any more.

I should know the answer myself but in 10 years of computing I've never had a failed HDD and therefore haven't needed to restore programs. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
If you clone the OS partition you are cloning everything including the registry. Thats the whole point in cloning a partition, being able to place it back in the same state it was in when the partition was cloned.

Reaction score
If you clone the OS partition you are cloning everything including the registry. Thats the whole point in cloning a partition, being able to place it back in the same state it was in when the partition was cloned.
Hi Clifford and thanks for replying.

No, I didn't clone it... and neither was it the partition containing the OS. It was just a partition containing additional programs which I've added, and backed up normally... not cloned.

I suppose the only benefit from this, is that I have a list of all the programs which I shall need to download again and re-install, right? lol.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the OS was not on the drive that is being restored then the registry entries would still be there so restoring the missing programs would likely fix it.

If you reinstalled the OS then the reg entries are gone and programs need reinstalled as well.

Basically, for most programs: reg gone then reinstall needed.

Ask a Question