RAM Question

Reaction score
So I was checking my usage amount using AMD system monitor and it was reporting that I have 6338MB of 8189MB, 21% being used.

25480MB free
3852MB standby
51MB modified
1794MB in use
3mb Hardware Reserved

Is it normal to have 1794MB of RAM in use when my computer is just sitting at the desktop? Running nothing other than that small app and google chrome web browser so that I can type this question. It might be normal, just seems a bit odd to me.

I do experience quite a bit of lag while using my system and IMO my PC isn't that bad. I get frequent web browsing freezes and right-click freezes. Also I do not shutdown my PC anymore because it usually freezes on the shutting down window or will just take an infinite amount of time to shutdown.

My Specs are:

Processor: AMD PHENOM II X4 970 AM3 3.5 GHZ QUADCORE

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD

Memory: GEIL 8GB KIT DDR3 ENHANCE PLUS C9 1600/1750MHz

Hard Drive: WD CAVIAR BLUE 3.5" 1TB 7200/32MB/SATA3

Graphics Card: XFX HD6670 800Mhz PCIe/1GB/DVI/HDMI/DP

Power Supply: COOLERMASTER EXTREME POWER PLUS 550W

Operating System: MS WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM OEM/64BIT - Full Retail Version

I've attached two screenshots, one of the AMD System App and the other is the RAMMap which I do not have any idea of how to read/use :/

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I wasn't sure where to post this question. Untitledd.jpg Untitleddd1.jpg

Update, here are the same pictures but with nothing but either the RAMMap running or the System monitor running. it drops to 16% and uses 1.3gb NEW ONE.jpg NEW ONE @.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
With 6GB.I would say that is normal. Every time I upgraded the amount of memory, I noticed Windows memory usage climb a tad.

Ask a Question