SOLVED Taskbar Folder Display Changed

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Picture first!!

As you can see my open folders have suddenly stopped "stacking" behind the Explorer icon and are now creating a new tab and stacking there. This has just started happening today, when precisely, I don't know (in and out like a yo-yo today).

When I click on the (pinned) explorer icon it opens my C:\ folder (as intended) but starts off/adds itself to the "new" folder taskbar tab.

Any ideas on restoring this to its default behaviour?

I'd have quite liked this if it was the intended/default behaviour but after 12 months of hovering over / clicking the Windows Explorer pinned tab I'm now lost!!
BTW In the properties of the pinned Windows Explorer , the Start in = C:\ and the Target = C:\
TIA

Just thought I'd add I've run CCleaner this a.m. with its usual settings and just for fun (?!?) I ran sfc /scannow.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
BTW In the properties of the pinned Windows Explorer , the Start in = C:\ and the Target = C:\
I don't have anything in Start in, but my Target = %windir%\explorer.exe

If I change them to C:\, I can only get two instances of Windows Explorer, whereas usually I can launch as many as I please.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I take it that is the default setting Core?
(I suppose my first post was a long way around of asking what is the default!!)
I'll give it a spin (I'll remove the Start in first).

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I take it that is the default setting Core?
(I suppose my first post was a long way around of asking what is the default!!)
I'll give it a spin (I'll remove the Start in first).
It is on mine.

I'm not sure it's at the root of your problem, just what I noticed.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Strange.
I found an explorer.exe in my System32 folder :dontknow:.
I would blame me with swapping about my system files. Except explorer.exe is, curiously, one I don't modify/swap/change.
After changing targets/rebooting/ditto, I came out of Dufoss mode and pinned an explorer shortcut to the taskbar. Far better than pinning the opened folder!!
Everything now back to normal. Well, apart from sfc/ scannow moved "my" folders back to the root drive!! Easily sort that one though***.

Thanks for the help.

***EDIT Would be good if I could automate the changing of locations for the 8 or 9 folders I do move. Maybe just a simple registry hack? Anyone? :D

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I get this feeling sometimes that people living next to your house must frequently be listening to the clanking, hammering, and banging, and whisper to one another "what's he building in there...?"

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I get this feeling sometimes that people living next to your house must frequently be listening to the clanking, hammering, and banging, and whisper to one another "what's he building in there...?"
Luckily for the (adjoining) neighbour, they are junior doctors and do a 33 hour day, they tell me on the rare occasion I see them.

Remember Shawshank Redemption? I hit the computer in rhythm with the thunder. Nobody knows what I'm up to. Mwaa Ha Ha Haaa!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Luckily for the (adjoining) neighbour, they are junior doctors and do a 33 hour day, they tell me on the rare occasion I see them.

Remember Shawshank Redemption? I hit the computer in rhythm with the thunder. Nobody knows what I'm up to. Mwaa Ha Ha Haaa!
Elmer has gone to the dark side :( That's too bad xD

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Elmer has gone to the dark side :( That's too bad xD
This from LiarCat who is currently sneaking the internet from his ipod because his computer has been confiscated by mommy, we say that's "the pot that called the kettle black" :p

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Elmer I notice they have different icons and I wonder if that could be somehow effecting why they don't stack?!

EDIT: nevermind ... I notice it's solved

***EDIT Would be good if I could automate the changing of locations for the 8 or 9 folders I do move. Maybe just a simple registry hack? Anyone? :D
Not sure I understand this. What folders are you moving and why do you have to move them repeatedly?

Last edited:

Ask a Question