System restore

Reaction score
Does anyone lnow why I can only restore from a restore point in safe mode? Is it really necessary to do this when restoring?

Reaction score
Nope, I don't know.

I tried to do a Restore a couple weeks ago and was blocked with an error message saying the system couldn't access the files. All the restore points gave the same error.

On XP, I used to use Norton Ghost 2003 and occasionally I would completely restore the entire system disk from the Ghost images. I eventually had full confidence in Ghost.

I though that Win 7 Restore could take the place of buying a copy of Ghost 15 for our computers. I'm starting to doubt that.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's not always necessary to do the restore point in safe mode, as I done one today in regular mode. If a situation calls for it (such as a tech advisor from Dell, HP,etc.), then do it. I have used this function numerous times with no problem. And it can reverse a lot of problems. But to use it for a backup, that's not wise. At the very least, create a system image to fall back on.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
You can adjust the settings for System Restore so that it takes more or less space on your harddrive. Obviously the less space you use, the fewer Restore Points you will have available.

To make the change: Click your Start bubble and type: Create Restore Point in the Search box. The System Propperties window will open and show you your current setup. In the Protection Settings box, Click your C: drive and select Configure. Check the Disc Space to see how much of your harddrive the restore is using. If the ammount is very small (like 1MB) move the slider to the right to increse the ammount

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can adjust the settings for System Restore so that it takes more or less space on your harddrive. Obviously the less space you use, the fewer Restore Points you will have available.

To make the change: Click your Start bubble and type: Create Restore Point in the Search box. The System Propperties window will open and show you your current setup. In the Protection Settings box, Click your C: drive and select Configure. Check the Disc Space to see how much of your harddrive the restore is using. If the ammount is very small (like 1MB) move the slider to the right to increse the ammount
I was looking for that setting, I only had 3% for system restore. Now I have 22%. Thanks.

Reaction score
... But to use it for a backup, that's not wise. At the very least, create a system image to fall back on.

The word Restore seems to be used ambiguously by MicroSoft in the backup menus to mean 1) image, 2) partial file backups (like daily) and 3) system restore data. I have found the actions to be not predictable.

Without a long explaination, I tried both restore points that were done by Win 7 automatically (as when new apps are loaded) and an image I had specified. Neither worked.

Now I specify that the backup be an image each time I do a backup manually and have disabled the automatic backups.

Have you (or anyone else) done a successful image restore?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The word Restore seems to be used ambiguously by MicroSoft in the backup menus to mean 1) image, 2) partial file backups (like daily) and 3) system restore data. I have found the actions to be not predictable.

Without a long explaination, I tried both restore points that were done by Win 7 automatically (as when new apps are loaded) and an image I had specified. Neither worked.

Now I specify that the backup be an image each time I do a backup manually and have disabled the automatic backups.

Have you (or anyone else) done a successful image restore?
Yes, I have, but it was done through the system recovery partition. That contains the factory image, and you make your OS like new with this procedure. However, everyone doesn't have that partition, so it's important that you create one. All that you need is either a DVD burner (included on most systems with Windows 7 preinstalled) or an external drive. I have mine on both. Windows 7 by default has the most backup & recovery tools than any OS that I've used. I've disabled the auto backups like you have, as I don't want a ton of backups.

Reaction score
If you have Norton Internet Security, the default settings on NIS will prevent you from doing a system restore. NIS has a setting designed to protect itself from tampering by an unauthorized source.

On NIS 2010, open Norton, go to Computer settings > Misc Settings > and turn off Norton Product Tamper Protection.

Then you can do the system restore.

Reaction score
Yes, I have, but it was done through the system recovery partition. That contains the factory image, and you make your OS like new with this procedure. However, everyone doesn't have that partition, so it's important that you create one. All that you need is either a DVD burner (included on most systems with Windows 7 preinstalled) or an external drive. I have mine on both. Windows 7 by default has the most backup & recovery tools than any OS that I've used. I've disabled the auto backups like you have, as I don't want a ton of backups.
... system recovery partition ...

Okay, I'm a little unclear on your terminology and what partition you are talking about.

Are you describing a dedicated backup partition on a hard drive that you use for backup or ?????

I store my C: drive Backup Image on my second (internal) hard D: drive.
I have made the suggested Win 7 System Repair Disk to use for a major crash.
I have the Windows Install Disk.

Are you using something else???

DallasDad, I think I disabled Norton Antivirus, AntiSpyware and dropped the User Account Control to the lowest level, but it has been about 10 days and I may be misremembering.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
... system recovery partition ...

Okay, I'm a little unclear on your terminology and what partition you are talking about.

Are you describing a dedicated backup partition on a hard drive that you use for backup or ?????

I store my C: drive Backup Image on my second (internal) hard D: drive.
I have made the suggested Win 7 System Repair Disk to use for a major crash.
I have the Windows Install Disk.

Are you using something else???

DallasDad, I think I disabled Norton Antivirus, AntiSpyware and dropped the User Account Control to the lowest level, but it has been about 10 days and I may be misremembering.
The recovery partition that I was referring to is the one that comes on many computers now. It saves the company the expense of supplying a reinstall disc. I know that HP/Compaq has this partition, others may do also. And it works well. On an HP, when you press the power button, hit F11 right away, and the recovery manager appears. You can do a system restore, or you can reinstall your OS just like when you bought it. However, if when you bought the computer it had Vista on it and you upgraded to Windows 7, you'll have Vista again. That's why it's called a recovery partition. The factory places the factory image here. The key words here are FACTORY IMAGE. When you use this recovery method, all of the "bloatware" that came with the computer will be restored as well. I hope this explains what I'm referring to, and it's a excellent way to bring your system back. Also, you can use this function after you've used your system a while and it becomes bogged with junk files, you can refresh your OS to like new condition. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question