SOLVED Shutdown doesn't always work correctly.

Reaction score
Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 running on AMD FX-8350 and Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3.

New build about 2 weeks old. At first everything seemed OK. Then occasionally when I shutdown it would get to the "Shutting down..." screen with the spinning ring and just stay there. The ring eventually stopped spinning but the computer never turned off. I can turn it off with the power button and as long as I wait until the ring stops spinning, Windows will restart normally as if it had been shutdown properly.

I used mnconfig to turn off services: turn off some services, restart, then try shutdown; repeat until shutdown works. Aha! the culprit is in the last group of services I turned off! Keep those turned off and all others turned on and try shutdown and it works! But no, after a time or 2 or 3 working correctly it starts to hang again!:( And it stays that way until I do the msconfig bit again. And it isn't always the same services that that "fix" the problem when turned off.:eek:

A couple of times it has hung this way when I used Restart but mostly it's when I use Shutdown. And it seems to occur at random times.

I've run memory and HD tests but found no problems. Also tried Restoring the back to when it seemed to be OK but the problem persistso_O

Reaction score
I think I've solved the problem. I had installed Easy Tune 6 from the Gigabyte DVD that came with my motherboard. In some of the Win7 error logs I found reference to this program causing an error. Since I wasn't using it I tried uninstalling it but apparently it was corrupt and the Win7 uninstaller kept stopping with an error message about a HD that didn't exist on my computer.

I finally got rid of Easy Tune 6 manually deleting all its files and registry entries. Now my computer has been shutting down properly!

Ask a Question